Technology company co-founder reports car stolen to avoid mechanic's bill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/technology-company-co-founder.html

They use cyber, AI and blockchains. (Bury it in the desert. Wear gloves!)

11 Likes

How does the car being stolen obviate the need to pay the mechanic? I don’t see what one has to do with the other.

4 Likes

You clearly are not a disrupter. Holding on to outdated ideas like paying debts.

10 Likes

Because (in his sordid mind) he ghosts the mechanic, doesn’t respond to any bills, and figures the mechanic won’t bother to take him to small claims court.

1 Like

the mechanic could have filed a lien and it should have come to light quickly.

3 Likes

Its strange the news paper clearly is avoiding mentioning the company name, I am sure if he worked at Facebook or was a bank teller they would mention the name but why not mention http://cyberintellectuals.com

1 Like

Apparently the mechanic was part of the fraud.

Detectives found a surveillance video showing the car being driven to the spot. They identified the driver as an auto mechanic who had been working on the Mini Cooper.

4 Likes

A close family member was an independent insurance claims adjuster for decades… They told me in their experience, insurance fraud is almost never prosecuted because it’s simply too much work / too costly to bother pursuing even if it’s suspected… Basically, only the most egregious frauds ever get caught. So these bozos must have really gone out of their way to mess this up.

3 Likes

13 Likes

maybe his flimsy story was even flimsier than we thought (he not only says the thief stole the car, but then ran up a mechanic’s bill under his name)

suspect that’s assuming it’s done once.

I also suspect it’s fairly difficult to pull off one fraud both big enough to make one financially stable for life but small enough the company “lets it slide”

it’s almost as if the best “hack” is to… get a job

4 Likes

Yeah this would be for smaller claims (like the car in question, or say, burning down one’s own failing restaurant). Obviously, if you do a fraud for a payout so large that it impacts the insurer significantly, they’re going to, at the minimum, fight it. The point I was making is that most people get away with insurance fraud and the large insurers price those losses in to premiums we all pay. Few engaged in insurance fraud are getting set up for life. An exception might be workplace injury fraud, where people might be looking for lifetime disability payments… But that’s not as common as it’s often portrayed.

I do wonder how often someone gets that extra 200kish that gives them a nest egg to semi retire though.

Or maybe that’s enough they fight it.

I’d think if the payouts were too small to be “worth it” to do once (since even a valid 2nd claim will probably get the side eye) that the market sorts itself out and ppl don’t actually scam that often but maybe I’m too logical?

People often assume I’m much more anti social than I am because I speak logically, but at the end of the day trust is very fragile, and I know I should not squander it for 20k

This is thirty years out of date, but I know that the automakers in Detroit used to investigate disability claims fairly aggressively.

That’s a shame. Is Johnny Dollar out of business then?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.