Teen forced dentist to remove braces, at gunpoint

The boy is not named in the article but I’m curious how he, and his teeth, turned out.

I imagine he probably kept the braces for the full time prescribed by his orthodontist; then, a few weeks after getting them removed, he likely got into a fight and got his teeth punched back out of place.

2 Likes

Me, too. I got them as an adult, but my ortho didn’t warn me about a lot of things in advance. After the way they were put on and adjusted or bonded, I was not expecting them to be taken off with what looked like a pair of pliers. Two acetaminophen before my appointment was all I was allowed to take, and it was still painful.

After exceeding the two years she’d originally estimated, and getting my hopes up to have everything done before a major holiday, my ortho informed me that she’d only planned to take half of my braces off. This was after she’d already started the work, and I had been looking forward to a normal meal for weeks. I didn’t have any weapons except my eyes and my voice when I told her to take out the rest, but it worked. I was able to enjoy a nice holiday meal, and got a lot of compliments on my smile. :grin:

5 Likes

The boy is not named in the article but I’m curious how he, and his teeth, turned out.

He probably got Invisalign as an adult and cursed the fact that they weren’t around in the 80s

1 Like

This thread is making my teeth ache! Are the big metal braces still used, or have they moved more to those “invisaligners” I have seen (I feel like Tom Cruise is a poster child?) I never had braces, never really realized just how sucky it is for people who have them. :cry:

3 Likes

Yes. According to my orthodontist, it depends on severity of the problem and timeline. For me, it was a decision between two years with metal or twice as long with aligners (and another evaluation to see if the plastic type was working well enough after some months). I decided on metal to finish it as quickly as possible, only to wind up with plastic retainers/aligners overnight.

Teeth don’t stop moving after the braces come off. I was motivated to keep up the maintenance after meeting someone with very crooked teeth who had braces for years, but stopped using a retainer.

2 Likes

Yep. This kid went too far, but a friend of mine in Highschool, his dad was an orthodontist and he refused to take my friend’s braces off for a while after treatment was complete because my friend was going through a “wild phase” misbehaving and the braces being left on was used as a form of punishment. So messed up.
Anyway, it didn’t work. If anything it backfired. That “wild phase” has been essentially ongoing since the mid-90s.

1 Like

I thought Stephen Miller grew up in CA.

No orthos, but I’ve had a couple of dentists whom I would not draw a firearm on because they were probably armed themselves.

No orthos, but all my “wisdom teeth” were pulled the same day at a welfare clinic. They pumped me full of narcos and put me on the city bus home. I should have been armed.

No orthos, but I’ve had a plate since my incisors were removed by a baseball at age 13. My dentist was Dr BD Svoboda DDS. A few weeks later, I saw a news report of Dr BD Svoboda DDS busted for drunk driving. Luckily for me, it was his twin brother. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Maybe he became a marksman?

1 Like

…and on and on

My son had his braces off less than a week ago. Both my wife and my son probably considered this kid’s approach.

Summer 2019: We are told they’ll probably come off by the end of the year.
October 2019: Won’t be off by the end of the year, but soon
December 2019: Almost ready. Make removal appointment for February
Feb 2020: This is not a removal appointment. Needs 2 months. Make removal appointment for April.
C O V I D
All appointments cancelled. We’ll call you.
June 2020: They call. Want to take a look. 5 minute appointment. “We’ll call you to set up removal appt”
July 2020: We call them. “Oh, you want to make a removal appointment. Earliest is September.”
Sept 2020: Braces off

3 Likes

I had to get braces in my fifties due to an accident that caved in my top incisors so badly I couldn’t close my mouth. It was surreal sitting in the orthodontist’s waiting room, next to a bank of game consoles, filling out a new patient questionnaire that contained questions like, “What grade are you in?” and, “What are your hobbies and sports?” My braces lasted a very long six months, and I was happy to be rid of the lip-scratching, the constant low-level ache, and “shounding like thish” when I talked. I can’t imagine going through years of that.

I had my braces from age 40-44. It was the nexus of when I could afford them, and when I needed to get work done to save my teeth from catastrauphic damage over years of mal-occlusion. I have three observations to share:

1. There are perks to being an adult brace wearer. One is the ability to go home and have a couple of fingers of scotch after an adjustment
  2. The orthodontist is so starved for adult contact that they will practically hug you every time you come in to the office.
  3. I wish my orthodontist and dentist had agreed where the implants would go, so my teeth wouldn’t have been moved to one side for nine months, then moved back for another nine months.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.