Here’s what happens when you email your teacher right after wisdom teeth surgery

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/15/heres-what-happens.html

6 Likes

Her spelling was just fine, considering her fingers and her head were made out of marshmallows at the time.

25 Likes

“kevin, my dude” is going in my batch of phrases now.

16 Likes

The worst part is that she texted all that while she was driving.

16 Likes

For some reason I watched the movie Seven while high on hydrocodone following wisdom teeth surgery. I actually didn’t remember very much, and so people would mention a part to me and I’d be like “WHAT?! How could I have missed… that?!”

2 Likes

There was at least one scene in that movie involving painkillers. (It was a twist on the old “got your nose!” trick.)

1 Like

Wow, definitely glad I only got lidocaine when my wisdom teeth were taken out.

(As an aside, that was also when I learned lidocaine, get this, is supposed to block the pain of having your teeth drilled. I just assumed it was normal for it to only numb my cheeks and tongue. Granted, my normal dentist still hasn’t managed to replicate the feat the surgeon accomplished.)

1 Like

…and yet that reads about as well as anything you’ll find in the YouTube comments section. It kind of makes me wonder what percentage of the apparently crazy/stupid people one encounters on the net are just really drunk, high, or over-medicated.

6 Likes

I do love Hydrocodone. The half life is shit though.

my wisdom teeth were removed when I worked in a psychiatric clinic. and lived in a dormitory on site*.

I was really really REALLY happy with the drugs and couldn’t talk comprehensible. but the taxi driver was experienced and translated my "mumble mumble psychiatrie mumble* like a pro: “Got it. You clearly want to the asylum.”

* it had its pros and cons. the nurse’s training school of the hospital was a plus…

7 Likes

It looks like every other email we get from students.

Also, she’s 100% right about the markers. If you’re going to rip out functional equipment (blackboards) and replace it with whiteboards, at least provide decent markers.

12 Likes

When I got my teeth out, they couldn’t put me under because of asthma and a heart murmur. So they only gave me local, which I don’t think worked all that well. However, the worst part of all of it was the blood, especially mixed with saliva. I went to sleep that night on a white pillowcase and woke up on a red one.

my first tutorial of the semester speech…

“you lot are paying $30K a year and the university can’t even be bothered to provide a marker…”

4 Likes
2 Likes

I did this exact thing in AP Biology, only it was a worksheet. The teacher started laughing when he handed it back and said I could have a do-over.

I am going to die of second-hand embarrassment right here, right now, on my coffee break.

2 Likes

I think that the problem is that alive and dead markers look exactly the same. You can get whiteboard markers where the ink cartridge is visible and replaceable, but it isn’t automatically obvious like with chalk.

3 Likes

Which is why i say “Back to chalk!”. Especially since i’ve gotten a chalk-holder.

2 Likes

Dead markers belong in the trash. When people try a marker and it doesn’t work, why do they recap and replace it? Do they believe the marker is just pining for the fjords?

I’m afraid those of us who love chalk have lost that battle. (Oh, and in place of a chalk-holder you can always wrap the bottom of the chalk with a bit of tape.)

1 Like

This’ll help with the sounds, but i have a tendency to break chalk, leading to using up three sticks in one short lecture.

True that. I’m mostly using electronic boards these days (in classes that the students can attend electronically). They’re … improving, but still sketchy.

Change chalk. I don’t like the Crayola chalk my department buys, so I buy my own (Prang Hygieia), it has much more structural integrity and is less scratchy on our boards.

1 Like