Teen uses external cameras and projection-mapping onto the a-pillar to "solve" blind-spots

Now I wanna see the “reverse” of this.

Cameras inside the car, and projectors showing the image of the idiot driver playing with their phone on all external walls and the bonnet. Gotta know who’s paying attention behind the wheel.

3 Likes

Bravo!

3 Likes

I don’t care if it’s not an original idea, the execution for a teen’s science fair project is awesome, even if with adult assistance. I agree that C-pillar blind spots need a similar solution more than A-pillars, though I’ve been in rentals whose A-pillar blind spots are absolutely horrid. Completely irresponsible design. There are pillars with adequate structural strength that are not all that bad.

It’d be better to employ better automotive design than to simply through tech at the problem. But by using flexible display panels and driver position perspective mapping, a fully usable system could be developed right now. Still, it’s a stop gap measure because soon we’ll all be in self driving cars. Not because it’s cool tech, but because soon no one will be able to properly drive a vehicle without tech.

3 Likes

I’m going to help my kid do this with passive optics: that “invisibility cloak” we all mocked last week. Lenses and mirrors should work well enough in this highly constrained system.

this sounds cool but the kid forgot the part where the cameras feed into the ring database for the cops and funnels live video to the “cloud” to the highest bidder

no seriously, this is really cool I would pay $$$$ for this in my prius … terrible blind spots in this car. Often wanted some sci-fi awesomeness to fix it.

1 Like

Or, you can just adjust your mirrors properly?

If you can see your car in your side mirrors, they aren’t adjusted correctly.

1 Like

meh. school projects. you do whatever to get the grades :slight_smile:

It’s not a publication in nature, it’s a highschool project. The parents helping out/doing half the work is more or less expected.

Side mirrors dont help with the A pillar though. Usually the side mirrors are attached to the base of the A pillar.

1 Like

how much help they had from parents in the background.

Personal grumpiness here is acknowledged. :no_mouth::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The environment has to be right but not as much help as you might think. If a kid is bright then the required trig and linear algebra here is something they can pick up in a couple of months from grade 8 algebra. Add to that some libraries of useful code and off you go.

Personally I might help my kid with the wiring in the car just to make sure it wasn’t going to catch fire…

Kids who want to do this stuff figure it out. It’s not that hard; it’s work, but a bright young spark will find her way through it.

I’ve seen it, for example with a friend’s younger sister who showed up at U Waterloo at 16 in the math program (parents were not mathies, but that school is fantastic at making those kids find success, btw, social concerns are low, too, young and smart is welcome).

1 Like

The important thing is the problem solving – working solo or as a part of team (assuming parents’ help), regardless of whether it was a new idea or not. An important skill for engineers.

Go girl!

1 Like

The A-pillar in my vehicle. The pedestrian crosswalk is almost 100% obscured, as are a few vehicles

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.