Teen who allegedly got sexts from Weiner writes an open letter to Comey

“, but you can’t claim it’s a noncontroversial unanimous opinion defining the duty of LEOs after a 4-3 squeaker like that.”

I didn’t say one particular court was unanimous. I said courts, plural, are unanimous. You will not find a single court at the appellate level or higher ruling that the police have a duty to protect an individual. DeShaney v. Winnebago County, Castle Rock v. Gonzales, and a bunch of others. If you can find one, please point me to it.

What the hell are you talking about? Is CopBlock a BLM rule-of-law/authoritarian crowd now?

http://www.copblock.org/27067/police-have-no-duty-to-protect-you/

This is the kind of thing that would be covered in a basic civics class in public school, if those things still existed.

Well, I did find that in your linked article, the 2-1 DC Appellate Court ruling, before the full court reversed itself. Buddy, the issue is more with your tone than anything else. All you had to say was that courts have ruled that the police have no legal obligation to serve or protect any given individual, and we’d groan and grumble but we’d have to concede that that is correct. Since 1981, that seems to be established precedent.

But you didn’t have to say “unanimous” because that initial 2-1 ruling disqualifies that, even if that ruling wasn’t made by the complete en banc court. And you didn’t have to say “as wrong as it’s possible for a thing to be” because that simply isn’t true. The job of the police and whether or not they’re professionally obligated to protect individuals took three separate courtroom trials to establish in the Warren case alone.

Your overall point can be made without implying that anyone is wronger than any wrong wrongness that ever spoke wrongly. Certainly your Copblock link implies that this particular legal fiction is wrongheaded and destructive to the public trust in law enforcement officers. Maybe you even agree.

3 Likes

She already had her identity published against her wishes when she wrote this. … there should be a law…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.