Teen working at Walmart quits his job over the intercom with huge rant over how they treated him

My old job they got rid of one of the older docs by scheduling him all the night call.
when I say older he was probably 40 or 50

2 Likes

It’s weird how some folks act like monopolization isn’t a thing in these late stages of capitalism. Like how a tiny handful of uber-wealthy people own pretty much all the big companies in existence…

The managers there would hate CA labor laws; any time over 8 hours clocked in one 24 hour period is automatically overtime; whether the total amount of time worked that week exceeds 40 hours or not.

23 Likes

Okay, I’m up for the challenge. I won’t shop at Walmart anymore.

My local Walmart earned my ire when it was built on protected wetlands (rezoned, I assume, to get the Walmart to locate in that town). I said I’d never shop there, but time passed and I get my prescriptions there and pick up whatever sundries I need.

Send me fortitude, please.
And I wouldn’t mind if you joined me.

9 Likes

In an age of increasing competition for fewer jobs, I can admire his principles, but expect hiring managers to continue looking for workers with a low profile. As for job seeking time, I know too many people who burned zero bridges and threw in the towel rather than continue to fight the automated application screening processes that kept them sidelined. Maybe he’ll beat the odds, but I’m not optimistic.

2 Likes

This was Florida in the early 90’s. I have no idea what the labor laws were like in that time and place, but I strongly suspect any complaints would be shrugged off.

3 Likes

Agreed. I don’t think there’s a job I’ve had that hasn’t wanted more work for less pay. I understand how this kid feels, but when you’ve been with enough employers you know that this is just the way they operate. Luckily I found one that pays enough to tolerate.

1 Like

Yeah of course. What was supposed to happen, they cheer and lift him up in a crowd and all walk out? This is the real world. Where inflation keeps going up while pay slowly hobbles behind, and people have to save money. They also have to save time because they’re at a dead end 9-5 so they need a one stop shop so they can get rest for their job. There’s a bigger picture to look at.

1 Like

That’s how capitolism works.

Only when the employer has disproportionate power to engage in wage theft or capricious/malicious shift changes. I’ve been through plenty of employers, and the only times I’ve worked for less or no pay were the times very early in my first career when I as a worker chose to do so (and only because I enjoyed a lot of privilege even then).

Absent that kind of privilege (e.g. the ability to do the kind of unpaid internship which is now banned in many places), if this is “just the way companies operate” then we need more unions and/or regulations to protect workers from exploitation.

Constant-dollar wages have been stagnant since the 1970s, with a big slide during the era of deregulation in the 1980s. At this point the solution isn’t yet another exploitative employer selling to them.

What @MadLibrarian describes is how a monopsony works: enter into a labour market, drive out other employers in the sector, become the only purchaser of labour, exploit labour. Capitalism works better when there’s competition in the market, but since it doesn’t always know what’s good for it regulations like anti-trust laws are needed.

6 Likes

I’ve worked in retail a few times over my life (including Walmart), and now I’m at a place where I was fairly surprised at how comparatively well I’m treated. The difference is that this is the first place I’ve belonged to a union.

14 Likes

Fer sure!

Next step: many, many more employee-owned businesses.

7 Likes

I hope that misspelling was intentional.

No one actually wants to live in the Hunger Games dude; those were terrible books.

5 Likes

There is power in a union…

ETA: Happy Birthday, today, Billy! [12/20]

8 Likes

Yep. I knew a gal in high school who worked at Wal-Mart.

They threatened to fire her for not working the days they put on her schedule. Which, often, were school days. School, which is where she was legally mandated to be.

5 Likes

Stopped at Walmart today and saw this: A gal (a young teen as far as I could tell) in an aisle with her upper body stuffed deep in a bottom shelf. Left and right she was flinging items out of the shelf as if she was digging her way through, searching for treasure. Her mom(?) was standing off to the side, watching the mole-at-work action. Interesting place, Walmart.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.