Teenage baseball player has amazing at-bat routine

And crap like this is why Japan will never beat the U.S. in baseball.

Is this video going to get removed because of the music?

I bet heā€™s got a good on-base percentage due to all the hit-by-pitches he no doubt provokes.

1 Like

It should be. God that was horrible.

Why would you be in the stands for something you donā€™t give a shit about? Hoping fervently for someone to do something tangential to the game that might strike your funny bone?

Well, they have won two of the three World Baseball Classic tournaments, with the U.S.'s best finish a fourth place.

What is driving me crazy about this video is that heā€™s doing all of this ballet in the batters box. IN.THE.BATTERS.BOX. As soon as he steps into the box the ball can legally be thrown.

This is why the batter will usually signal to the ump to pause the play, step out of the box and do his routine. Then step in and wave the bat around, because by stepping in the box he signals heā€™s ready to swing the bat.

Just one fast ball would end the show and make him realize that thereā€™s a game going on and itā€™s not about who has the best warm up routine.

Lastly, the ump isnā€™t helping by recognizing the player in the box and getting into his stance to signal the start of the play.

Man. . . I love baseball. Yeah, itā€™s slow and boring for a lot of people, but you could say that about Wim Wenders movies and I love those too.

And as I thought, US baseball fans are up in arms. Canā€™t be having fun in baseball, its goes against tradition (look at how much stick Ron Santo got for a heel click and how youā€™re likely to get plunked for doing a bat flip).

I love baseball, but sometimes it is so stuffyā€¦

1 Like

I can imagine that superb Queen cover in a samurai film from director Akira Kurosawa, huge baseball fan that he was.

Can we get a cut of the South Korean rhythmic gymnast pitching to him?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the World Baseball classic qualifies as our best vs your best. But whatever.

There have been occasions in my life where Iā€™ve been taken along to events - social, civic or sporting - where I had zero interest in the proceedings/game/band/speaker/art, yet went along anyway for other reasons. You havenā€™t?

And yes, Iā€™d probably end up focussed on watching somebody creatively nose-picking in the dugout or rating a couples dating manoeuvres rather than whatever was happening on field.

Sour grapes.

Yeah, thereā€™s nothing better than being dragged along to the opera, and somebody in the cast pukes. Makes the whole thing fun and entertaining instead of the boring show the rest of the people came to see. I win!

1 Like

The ump has to put the ball back in play after a foul ball. The runners, that we canā€™t see, and fielders, might not be in position until the ump signals. Itā€™s not clear that heā€™s waiting on the batter. Any other time the pitcher could pitch whenever heā€™s ready and the guy is in the box. So itā€™s on the pitcher, I think, not the ump.

If the ball was still in play they wouldnā€™t allow another batter up there. Thatā€™s not safe. And the ump controls that too.

Since we see the video start with the next batter, the ump even motions with a ā€œstep up and batā€ hand wave.

Donā€™t know what you mean. When there is a foul ball, the umpire waits until everyone is back in place, then signals that the ball is ā€œin play;ā€ in other words, the time out started by the foul call is over, and the game is back on. The umpire pointing to the pitcher is that signal.

If there is no time out, the umpire will make no sign, and the ball is live the entire time, meaning the pitcher could throw it at any time after the batter is in the box (or before that if the prevailing rule allows that within a certain time frame or situation). So itā€™s on the pitcher.

I think this is the problem! Performance and entertainment are ideally not the same thing, as they involve disparate goals. Spectator sports - and, I would argue, spectator anything - is a bad idea. If sports were worth doing, then people would be more interested in doing than watching. I do not value vicarious thrills.

But that said, I assumed that most people behaved like this at the plate. XD

Exactly! If the ball was in play the ump should tell the next batter to back off. Itā€™s dangerous to have players near home plate during a play.

If the ball was not in play the ump should tell the pitcher to start the play as soon as the batter enters the batters box. Thatā€™s why itā€™s called the batters box. When they step inside they are ready to bat. Then the pitcher can pitch when they like.