Teenage Engineering's TP–7 field recorder has a motorized "tape reel"

Of course. I did some video editing in those days. I wasn’t suggesting the iPod invented the concept of scrubbing wheels (or jog dials, as we would have called them back then). However the iPod’s specific implementation for scrubbing digital audio files with a mechanical wheel is literally exactly what Teenage Engineering is claiming innovation on.

The iPod’s implementation was interesting because it was entirely skeuomorphic. It faked a physical experience that used to exist for a practical reason. The jog dials in video editing were electromechanically modifying the tape reel’s velocity. It was implemented that way not just for UX reasons, but because it was kinda the only practical way to implement it. Thus it was really interesting when the iPod went back to this idea and “faked” it, essentially. Turns out it was a good UX all along.

3 Likes

The innovation here is a physical control wheel that rotates in sync with the playback.

I’d love to see the internals, as I assume/hope it’s nifty/robust.

1 Like

Ah, that’s kinda neat then. So it’s input and output, in a sense. That could be nifty!

1 Like

Surely this is really just an extension of the “motorised jogwheel” that already exists in DJ equipment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.