Teenaged girl becomes a resistance symbol for her peaceful reading of the Russian constitution to a Putin goon-squad (they beat her up later)

… while our own Constitution is now being treated just as transient and as inconvenient as ‘Indian Treaties’.

4 Likes

You are right, “police” is no profession. It is an institution with noble intention by nature. The word comes from Middle French (police -> public order, administration, government), taken from Latin ‘politia’ with it’s origins in Greek ‘politeia’ -> citizenship, administration, civil polity

The remote-controlled thugs are far from being eligible to match what the term stands for …

FB_IMG_1562253194843

8 Likes

*Cognitive dissonance

1 Like

I’d even go so far and concede they’re a necessary evil (at least as long as you want to have a state) - but “noble”, hell no. To believe that the concept is sound, and only some rogue states (ye know whom I’m talking about) pervert it into evil… my experience does not support that idea, and I live in what some consider to be a poster child for democracy.

1 Like

… indeed, and you can see that pretty clearly when you take a look police unions, and how they act and what types of demands they put to politics, and compare that to any other type of union.

1 Like

I always enjoy bravery, the Constitution adds irony and legitimacy. Her dad is into Putin? Yeah this little lady is rad!

1 Like

Would you care to provide a graph showing the rate of crimes solved in nations without a police force?
Just to contrast.

You need no graph for that. It’s a constant value. All of them which is zero. If there’s no state to criminalize things, there’s no crime.
This, of course, does not work in both directions. If you decriminalize things but keep police at the same size, crime rate is not automatically going to decrease.

Ah, then we can solve all the problems besetting our current society by simply abolishing all laws! Of course, how could I fail to see that?!
Why, if murdering people is not illegal then we don’t need to worry about catching murderers! How obvious!

… you know perfectly well what I meant.

Absent an organised law enforcement system, how does one apprehend the perpetrators of the acts which are considered almost universally immoral, such as rapists, murderers and thieves? You can’t claim the solution is “abolish law”.

1 Like

Morals have been known to be utterly arbitrary and useless since the late 19th century. If people were so keen on murdering each other our species would hardly have made it beyond the stage of early settlements.
It’s the state that legalizes and institutionalizes the murdering not the people. Most murderers in history were uniformed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.