Tees for stuff you f*cking hate

Originally published at: Tees for stuff you f*cking hate | Boing Boing

5 Likes

hmm…
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 07-51-04 Search 0 results found for trump

for a company established upon the word ‘fuck’ they seem a bit on-the-fence about political matters.

8 Likes

Ha! I got 'em beat. (I was working on a film set decades ago, and noticed Whoopi Goldberg staring intently at me from across the room. “What the…?” I thought. She walked over to me so she could better read this t-shirt, cracked up and rubbed my belly.)

18 Likes

I’m suspicious of pithy T-shirts ever since I learned procedurally generated shirts are a thing.

For anyone who doesn’t know, all those ads for shirts with hip current sayings you see on websites like cough this one are often not “real” in a sense. What those companies do is they have bots scraping social media automatically for phrases and sayings. For every single one, no matter how popular or not, they generate an ad and web store entry for a shirt. This is why the ads always look like bad ‘shoops, because that’s literally what they are. Then if someone actually buys a particular shirt, they make it and drop ship it. A lot of the storefronts don’t have a browsing option for this reason, only search. The ones that do, you find thousands and thousands of nonsense phrases on shirts. Nobody ever buys those of course, but it doesn’t matter. They’re fishing with dynamite to see what people will buy and it’s all automated.

This isn’t “evil” per se, I guess, but it makes me uncomfortable. Automated capitalism can’t lead to anything good.

13 Likes

19 Likes

quite like the one on cold fronts however…

4 Likes

They don’t have that phrase, sadly. First thing I looked for.

No celebrity interest (yet!), but I have gotten some a lot of close inspections of my Science shirt (by Zach Weinersmith of SMBC):

13 Likes

OH yeah. They are all over FB.

They keep coming in to a Shadow group I am an admin for, and they keep trying to sell bootleg shirts - with a 50/50 chance you would actually get one.

One of the most egregious examples of this was a band I like putting out a design for a shirt for sale at upcoming shows, and only at the shows, in a metallic ink. And there were bots in the thread saying to “click here to buy this shirt” within a few hours.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Those are missing the “… in particular” that I’m looking for.

4 Likes

Well, fuck them then :wink:

8 Likes

I ordered an address stamper last year. This along with other custom-engraved products don’t seem too far off from this T-shirt business. It’s that “scraping the web for pop culture” gets my goat. Though I have more a problem with text-bearing shirts in general. Like I’m reading shit and seeing ads all day long don’t make me read your shirt too.

3 Likes

I can see vectors for hating taxes and shame, but rain is a key step in the water cycle, and life would be very hard without it.

4 Likes

Still no fun on your wedding day, though.

4 Likes

Yeah, bit ironic, that.
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This Tee is a thing of beauty.
Where can I get one?

3 Likes

I wish I knew! My step-dad bought it for me in New Orleans in about 1988. :smiley:

2 Likes

8 Likes

They have a website url that includes fuck tshirts… but they don’t sell a shirt that actually expresses that opinion? They’re missing a trick here.

If there’s any I’d buy it’d be this.