Telerobotic baseball fans

Well hell, wouldn’t you be? I mean just look at that beard! I’m surprised the beard doesn’t have arms of its’ own stuck up in the air.

3 Likes

Do they even have filth in Korea?

1 Like

I’m not especially into sports, but I also don’t jump into conversations about sports just to express that disinterest. Same thing goes for discussions about metallurgy.

People like different things, and that’s cool.

2 Likes

I don’t really see these things taking off in America until they figure out the “beer and junk food” problem.

1 Like

I don’t mind sports per se. I am not into many other things - but they also don’t irritate me by oozing into pretty much everywhere. I want to have the world news on the background, not who kicked a ball - keep that on a dedicated sports channel, and I don’t even insist on it being pay-tv, and it ALREADY has its own channel, just don’t cram it into real-events news and pose it as something more important than what it really is. My terrestrial-broadcasting news channel has too high proportion of this crap, the paper news as well, and there is no way to opt out selectively.

When couple ballkickers get a full airport of noisy fans waiting for them, and the next day a high-class heart surgeon gets one person, something is wrong with the people’s priorities.

And you say I should not express my irritation over this?

I think what makes me uncomfortable about this story, is how this innovation doesn’t really add anything to the activity on the field- it’s not a new kind of ball or bat or glove or astroturf. If the ball players were paying attention to robots in the stands, I’d be a little worried.

If this strikes you as another uncanny valley, unnecessary innovation that isn’t going to go anyplace, your intuition is probably right. This annoys me more than most things relating to baseball. Why should a real life fan who actually cares about the game, be obliged to try to out-shout a freakin’ robot? It’s just a dumb idea!

I’m saying that butting into a conversation just to express disinterest in the subject makes you look boorish.

Imagine you were having a conversation with a fellow comics nerd about the Guardians of the Galaxy and a jock butted in just to tell you that you should “…do something useful instead of reading comics!” and further “express his irritation” that culture puts too much emphasis on such silly forms of entertainment. What would be your immediate impression of that person?

1 Like

If you look at the history, I just suggested using robots for the other parts of the production-consumption cycle of spectator sports.

And it was like if I kicked a wasp nest!

Why such strong reactions? Why so defensive?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.