Tempered glass screen protectors avert 4 disasters in 2 months

I think iPhone 5&6 used Gorilla Glass. Not sure if the 7 has it. Still, I wouldn’t buy an Apple phone anyway - far too expensive, does not play well with others and too expensive to repair.
I have never bought the ‘latest & greatest’ of anything - I like to think of people that do so as beta-testers.
My latest purchase was a Samsung Galaxy 2 (cost me 30 euro). I used to think “if it ever breaks I’ll just pick up another bargain somewhere”.
Nowadays, tech has gotten so cheap that you can get some pretty good stuff for $100-200, so I might get a spanking new phone soon (well, or maybe when I’ve worked my Droid 4 to death).
Or perhaps I’ll revert to my Nokia E7 - the OS was much more efficient and the battery lasted way longer (not to mention the screen is still spotless after many years of use and the odd crash onto terra firma).

I use a pretty good protection system. Called a pocket. I keep my phone in there unless I’m using it.

The pocket is also good whilst out & about perhaps listening to music, if the cord can reach the phone in your hand it can reach to a pocket.

Best of all, some pockets have zippers and that furthers the anti-theft aspect of keeping your shit out of sight.

I’ve got plenty of those “pocket” things, including ones with zippers. Oddly enough they haven’t kept me from dropping my phone when holding it. :unamused:

I think it is a mistake to think there is only one aspect to protecting phones from breakage.

Ideally, though, phones would be built for how they are actually used. Unfortunately, the plethora of broken phone screens we’ve all seen shows that they are not.

With the glass ones you can remove the cover again then use sticky tape to remove the dust before reapplying it. They are much easier to fit the the plastic film ones.

I second that Omoton.

(Just kidding, they don’t make one for my RAZR.)

3 Likes

Others have replied but my own solution is:
Work in the bathroom with the window closed - less dust
Wear an industrial hair protector and neoprene gloves (the talc free sort obviously)
Use a small lamp at an angle to make dust on the screen more visible.

I’ve even managed to put an 8 inch protector on a tablet dust free like this.

All the places that sell the guards round these parts will fit them for you. The method they all seem to use is to sticky tape the dust off and then use a glasses cloth and lighter fluid to remove any adhesive residue before applying the cover. Seems to work really well.

1 Like

I get mine from AmFilm on Amazon- their support is fantastic. I had one of these have a slight issue in one corner, and BAM I had a replacement set of two quickly. And these protectors not only have saved me from cataclysmic events like screen breakage but also scratches. The <$10 price is worth it for these just in terms of the money I’ll get back when I sell the phone back to get the next iPhone.

1 Like

It might have been photography related but I read once to do your dust free environment stuff in the bathroom after a shower. The high humidity takes all the dust out of the air.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.