Ten great, groundbreaking avant garde records

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/ten-great-groundbreaking-avan.html

8 Likes

A great list! I had never heard of Henry Cow, so I’ll have to give that a listen soon! Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

A few missing, but I’m good with the list on the whole.

7 Likes

totally agree with Trout Mask Replica topping the charts.
glad to see Uncle Meat on the list.
also agree that Soft machine should be on there.

4 Likes

Science Fiction over Shape or Free Jazz?

4 Likes

Hrm. For me “experimental” means “largely un-listenable”. YMMV.

Like I don’t like free form jazz at all. Sorry/not sorry.

Inexplicably omitted:

2 Likes

While I have lots of Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman not the two listed.
I shall have to fix that.

4 Likes

The Tattoo Song

1 Like

Timely, since today’s news cycle has definitely been reminiscent of the middle eight tracks of Naked City.

1 Like

I earnestly believe the Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band album belongs on a list like this.
I think almost anyone would put A Love Supreme on such a list.
Conference of the Birds - Dave Holland
Machine Gun - Peter Broetzmann
Aida - Derek Bailey
Laminal - AMM
Live at CBGB’s - DNA
Tago Mago - Can
Music For Airports - Eno

Fricking Daydream Nation or even ITAOTS or even something like To Pimp a Butterfly might make somebody’s list

5 Likes

I was thinking that Meditations might belong. Tricky to pick a most avant-garde free jazz album.

1 Like

Make some yourself! Load three or four copies of this:

Then set each one to 25% speed and start them separated by a second or two. Pause one here or there.

Et voila, a spiky symphony of fractured harmonics and textures. Better than V/VM!

2 Likes

science fiction really is fantastic.

2 Likes

SOFT MACHINE?

i think of soft machine as straight prog, but i wholeheartedly support adding them to more lists of great things.

2 Likes

Something vaguely similar has already been done in an avant-garde music festival. (Unfortunately, I read about this some 20 years ago, and can’t find references online right now.)

A guy had several microphone- speaker set-ups arranged in a circle. He went up to one and sang the middle extended vocal bit of “Whole Lotta Love” you know “Way down insiiiiiidddde, woman, you-oooh neeeed it” into one of the mics. Due to some sort of effects, it keeps going as he goes to the next mic and does the same thing. And then he continues around the circle.

1 Like

Henry Cow but no Henry Cowell? Tsk tsk!

4 Likes

One can just presume they were avoiding anybody clearly in the classical category.

2 Likes

But they got Moondog!

2 Likes

Well, he was such an eccentric that I’m not certain about him being “clearly” classical. I’m pretty sure you have to at least occasionally wear a suit to qualify and a suit of Viking armor just won’t do.

2 Likes