Ten hard truths about the Flint water atrocity

The half that could, did.

4 Likes

people just don’t have the money for that.

from the article:

Roughly a third of American adults don’t have any emergency savings, meaning that over 72 million people have no cushion to fall back on if they lose a job or have to deal with another crisis

and keep in mind, to rent a place, you often need first and last months rent, or at least a security deposit, landlords want proof of employment, etc. and just imagine what happens if you have kids in tow.

things are difficult. the middle class has vanished, and the working poor have very few options. and that’s before race even comes into play.

5 Likes

You’re adorable. Best of luck.

And your solution is…?

1 Like

And your solution is…?

more nitpicking!

3 Likes

Cracked just posted an article about this as well. It makes some of Moore’s arguments sound almost downright understated.

'Cause they’ve already been poisoned? And before they were poisoned, they were treated like crap and told it was their fault for a long, long time.

Rebellions take energy. When you’re worn down, it’s really hard to rebel.

5 Likes

Oh, most definitely jobs leaving the city had a lot to do with it; shopping and work kinda go hand-in-hand, though, don’t they?

I was born in Grosse Pointe Farms, still a rather well-to-do, old-money suburb of Detroit, but was only there for five days. I experienced firsthand the deterioration of the DPS, city services, et cetera., but because of my age didn’t truly understand why this was happening. Understanding adults is hard enough when they’re directly talking to a kid is one thing; overhearing them talk seems to be downright confounding to a kid (well, it was to me, lol). It was sad.

And the history of Eight Mile - I mean Baseline Road…well, here, if you’re not familiar (I wasn’t, and I bet Eminem isn’t): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_meridian

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.