Ten kinetic sculptures by Anne Lilly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/30/ten-kinetic-sculptures-by-anne-lilly.html

6 Likes

These are beautiful and calming.

6 Likes

Indeed. Some wonderful things.

4 Likes

Thank you for the much needed tranquil beauty break.

3 Likes

There’s a modern art tumblr I follow that has a constant stream of pieces. There is some half-assed crap that pops up, but also a lot of interesting objects and paintings. The best modern art, even it it “don’t look like nothin” or has no obvious “meaning” is just really enjoyable to look at. It brings a sense of wonderment that reminds me of when I was a small child and saw something for the first time.

1 Like

I like the one that gently caresses your hand – “there, there”. I think those should be in places likely to be highly stressful: a dentist’s office, a mortgage broker’s, a funeral home… or anyplace during COVID, as long as they were wiped down frequently.

2 Likes

I didn’t want the video to end.

1 Like

Very cool. This is a lot different than hers, but this is my kinetic sculpture: http://lightherder.blogspot.com

7 Likes

This was beautiful! Thank you!

1 Like

Fascinating! I watched your video before reading the description and intuited that you were organically generating fractals with video feedback and a dual Pepper’s Ghost setup. I’ve played around video feedback and Pepper’s Ghosts before but never thought about combining them. I had absolutely no idea that fractals could be generated in that way, which is extremely cool. The resemblance of many of the images to plants and animals really demonstrates how fractals occur in nature.

I much prefer the music in your video to the music in the article’s video, too. I’ll have to watch your other videos when I have some time.

1 Like

Thank you! Always great to hear from someone who appreciates this stuff. I’ve never heard of Pepper’s Ghost setup before, but I guess that’s exactly what it is. If you do read some more on that site, there’s a link to the 1997 image that proposed doing feedback and generating fractals like that.

Yes, they are very organic images, and as I sit and create them (or coax them into being, really) I feel connected to the creation of nature, as I too am part of the loop.

3 Likes

I really like some of these. The cylinder and bevel gear ones especially.

1 Like

I want, but obviously if I have to ask how much, I can’t afford it.

1 Like

Amazing!

Wow. Fascinating! Thank you, truly wonderful.

Is anyone else skeeved out by the fact that the one that makes swastikas is called eighteen-eighteen? As any fascist knows one-eight is whistle speak for Adolph Hitler since A is one and H eight. Coincidence?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.