"Tendril perversion": when one loop of a coil goes the other way

The corkscrew pattern on the left side of the kink, looks exactly like the corkscrew pattern on the right side of the kink. It’s possible that the photo doesn’t really illustrate what the article is about.

I know from experience twiddling phone cords as a kid, that it is possible to introduce such a kink into a coil, and then take the kink away as if it never happened. I could never figure out how to explain how to do this, though, I think it involved twisting the cord just so. Sadly, such phone cords are a lot harder to find these days.

If I remember correctly, if you twist an unkinked cord in a bunch of different ways, the way to introduce a kink will soon show itself. Then you can reverse that motion to unkink the cord. Once you get the hang of it, it’s possible to attack a kink that you didn’t yourself create, and unkink it.

You unplug at least one end of the phone wire, or carefully unwind the tendril, then do this:

It’s particularly hard to do on cucumber vines without breaking them.

3 Likes

Came for the tendil perversion, stayed for the math.

10 Likes

you have a phone on you desk?

2 Likes

This is how the phone sex industry got started.

3 Likes

It looks like he’s begging her to take him back.

3 Likes

Well…yeah. It’s a pretty standard feature at any workplace. Where do you work that this is surprising to you?

1 Like

No, no, no. In the foreground on the left is / / /. On the right, the foreground bit is \ \ \ .

I couldn’t see it either, at first, but now I can’t not see it.

2 Likes

Blimey! You’re right, of course! There goes my theory that phone cord kinks have anything to do with this topic. It was such an elegant theory, too, at least in my head!

Well, they do… You just need two of these in order to have a full phone kink.

Maybe I can mail order some reversed coil phone cords from someplace in the southern hemisphere?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.