Tens of million in CARES Act loans went to the families of just 28 Congresspeople

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/25/tens-of-million-in-cares-act-loans-went-to-the-families-of-just-28-congresspeople.html

7 Likes

Yes! The system works!

13 Likes

Haven’t the French shown us how to solve the “Aristocracy doesn’t care about the welfare of the average citizen” problem?

12 Likes

Un-fuck these Dutch bags for ever and ever and ever…

1 Like

Is there a section on the Rich in the timeless kitchen classic “To Serve Man” ?

3 Likes

I constantly feel gagged to not talk about it.

Lets just say pitchforks and torches would do these assholes some real good.

4 Likes

The headline implies that the congresspeople were overrepresented in receiving benefits but reading the article I see no evidence that congress got anything more than other similarly situated wealthy people with businesses. Of course it is a crime that the benefits go to wealthy folks more than needy folks, but this article doesn’t need to be read to know that. Not knocking the reporting, just the sensationalizing.

You leave the Dutch out of this! And their bags!

5 Likes

Hypothetically, members of congress are supposed to have higher ethical standards than ordinary businesspeople. It’s a stretch, I know, but given that they’re still maintaining a thin facade of duty, it hardly seems like sensationalism to call them out for conflicts of interest.

5 Likes

Yeah, I hear ya. A business is a business and has to run on its own balance sheet (unless it’s a trump business), so it makes sense that these businesses would probably need to take advantage of the assistance offered regardless of ownership. In the end it is hopefully in the pursuit of saving real jobs.

Otoh, this just smacks of more of the millionaire grifters taking advantage of their position like Loeffler and McConnell(‘s wife) trading relevant stocks before the public was made aware of the severity of Covid. There’s nothing wrong with it per se (until evidence surfaces that there is), but just another example of how wealth and privilege preserves itself, even in the moments when the rest of us are watching our security vanish. Add to that the fact that many of these businesses are basically barnacles encrusted onto the DC money-go-round whose primary purpose is extending and protecting that privilege and, well, you get calls for pitchforks.

3 Likes

yeah, that’s what gets me.

their businesses are real businesses and some may ( might! ) employ real people. at the same time, there’s no doubt banks gave preferential treatment to the paperwork of well connected people. since these ( mostly ) men were always going to be okay financially, and since disproportionate numbers of minority run businesses - who critically needed this money - were turned away… it’s just… wrong.

doubly so for those of them who held up continuing aid these many months

3 Likes

[provide your own Gomer Pyle voice here] Surprise, surprise surprise!

corruption + greed

Given the extremely stringent rules against any possible appearance of conflict of interest we had to follow when I worked for the FDA, it pisses me off these cretins can’t abide by similar rules themselves.

3 Likes

*citation needed

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.