Terrific 1968 explainer movie about lasers

Originally published at: Terrific 1968 explainer movie about lasers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I love these mid-century videos about the future!

Also…

Dr Evil Laser GIF

8 Likes

Laser Warning, Safety, Do Not Look at Laser With Remaining Eye

18 Likes

6 Likes

star wars ugh GIF by IFC

4 Likes
4 Likes

70ac412b6bb80d1ca9d5e7ad05f64e56ed144a9c_2_690x391

12 Likes

Back in 4th grade, I broke my leg skiing and spent the rest of the school year unable to participate in gym class, and so was sent to the library instead, where I discovered the Audio/Visual lab. I watched hundreds of these educational films (gym was an everyday hour long class), including this one, and between the films, free reign in reading anything in the library I wanted to, and having completed the year’s classwork while bed-bound, I got a very good if eclectic education that year. I was quite disappointed when the doctor said I couldn’t skip gym any more for the next term.

11 Likes

Watch as the Ruby Rod enters an excited state, then falls back to normal energy levels.

8 Likes

The basic miracle is stimulated emission, that if you shine a photon on an excited atom it can release another identical photon in the same direction and with the same wavelength.This is such a weird effect of quantum mechanics.

I like the part where they talked about sending light in vacuum tubes. It took a while before anyone managed to make optical fibers good enough. In fact, not long before the first practical optical fiber was demonstrated it was “proved” that it would be impossible to build one.

Indeed. Interesting to see the lack of any goggles, safety shrouds, interlocks, or basic warning signs.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.