Terrifying explosion demonstrates great examples of of stabilization technologies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/03/terrifying-explosion-demonstra.html

5 Likes

That’s a “blevvy” aka “Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion.” (BLEVE)

If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of a fire involving flammable liquids in tanks, my advice is to retreat sooner, rather than later.

I’ve seen cylindrical pressure tanks turned into rockets.

Fortunately, I was on the other side of a wide harbor channel at the time.

Sgt. Albert Lugo, one of the first policemen on the scene after the initial explosion, said many spectators had already gathered to watch the fire.

“They didn’t stay long,” Lugo said. “Just as I arrived, one of the big tall chemical tanks, I guess 30 feet high, went up in the air with a whoosh…It went as high as three telephone poles and broke up when it came back.”

“It was one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen. Tank after tank blew up as the fire spread.”

– LA Times: 50 Firemen Injured Battling San Pedro Chemical Tank Fire

2 Likes

3 Likes

So it’s the image that was stabilized. I expected to see the shrapnel stabilized, what on earth would that even be?

1 Like

If I were seeing that tank land that close to me, I think I’d be more concerned with bowel stabilization.

15 Likes

I think we need pen cameras, where the video fills the entire height of your screen, but is only as wide as a pen.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see a short, scripted film put together using the super trippy method of editing/stabilization. Somebody might have a lot of fun with that, like experimental films from the Sixties and Seventies.

2 Likes

I’d love to see that !
Even used as a tool by cops in a show it can be pretty cool.

1 Like

I thought they meant stabilized, like, chemical stabilizers. Like they forgot to mix something with a chemical stabilizer and it blew up spontaneously.

2 Likes

here lies the evidence for that vertical limit and the ever expansion of technology of of

1 Like

Yup. We needs us some o’ those there 1976 vintage Viking I Martian Lander cams

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.