Terrifying moment: Pool water cascades from high-rise in quake-hit Taiwan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/03/terrifying-moment-pool-water-cascades-from-high-rise-in-quake-hit-taiwan.html

8 Likes

IANAE (engineer) yet when i first saw that video i had to wonder if having a mass which is responsive in that fashion might have the effect of damping the vibration stress on the structure as a whole. y’know a bit like having mass dampers only not as well designed. (perhaps Steve Mould should do a video proving what nonsense this notion is)

6 Likes

Not really. You want your mass damper carefully tuned and moving in a controlled fashion, not sloshing around wildly.

14 Likes

So more of a mass-oscillator than a mass-damper.

11 Likes

I do so love a waterfall.

13 Likes

A powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck off the east coast of Taiwan on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, resulting in the deaths of at least 9 people and injuries to 963 others.

[…]This earthquake was the most severe to hit Taiwan in the past 25 years, surpassing the 7.7 magnitude quake in 1999 that resulted in over 2,400 deaths.

Someone needs a copy editor!

6 Likes

Maybe a huge block of ice that’s used for thermal energy storage?
With an ice rink on top instead of a swimming pool?

2 Likes

I hope that residents had their windows and balcony doors closed.

3 Likes

Dear Residents: We have washed your windows and balconies. Please see the enclosed invoice for the service. Thank you. Signed, Mgmnt.

16 Likes

That was filmed during the earthquake? Those two dudes are calm af!

calm the big lebowski GIF

2 Likes

Hang on, is this a Trump thread, now?

6 Likes

Given that buildings actually fell down, I’d think just losing the pool would be substantially less terrifying.

Apparently the “7.7” quake was actually less powerful than this one, as it was 7.7 on the “moment magnitude” scale but only 7.3 on the local magnitude (Richter) scale - and on that latter scale, this one is a 7.4.

3 Likes

Yes. In Asia, we use the seismic intensity scale instead of the Richter scale because it allows us to easily tell how powerful the earthquake is in each specific region. This is an earthquake from an hour ago. It was M6 on the Richter scale, but it happened offshore, so the news reports it as a 4 based on the maximum seismic intensity on land.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.