Terry Gilliam: women "knew what they were doing" with Harvey Weinstein

Really. Instead of accepting the status quo, why not instead join the ranks of people outing such other people in the industry.

14 Likes

Plantation owner: “You can let me f*** you whenever I please and live in the house or you can play coy and spend the rest of your life doing backbreaking labor in the sun, sleep in a woodshed and get whipped whenever you fall behind quota. The choice is yours! Hey, you should be grateful I gave you a choice in the matter. Legally speaking I could just rape you either way.”

35 Likes

Holy false analogies, Batman!

How any woman responded to Weinstein’s sexual advances is totally irrelevant to Weinstein’s own conscious choice to abuse his power, consistently.

Some women submitted to him, and their career paths stayed the same or accelerated. Some women resisted him, and their careers suffered or ended completely.

Neither outcome negates the fact that Weinstein is still a sexual predator who perpetually used his wealth, influence, and power to force himself onto others, and that shit is NOT okay.

To put it another way:

If I went out and killed someone, but ‘they fought back’, the result is no different than if I killed someone who didn’t fight back; they’d both still be dead and I’d still be a killer.

And yeah… that’s hyperbolic, but the point is still valid.

41 Likes

And no one should have to do that for their job. Keep in mind that women who refused WERE OFTEN BLACKLISTED! So, no, that’s complete and utter bullshit.

38 Likes

This. This. This. This. This.

26 Likes

Imagine if it was ‘commonplace’ for men to be told things like:

“Hey you wanna keep your job? Then you gotta suck some dick every now and then. ‘Go along to get along’ and everything will be ‘fine’…”

37 Likes

It’s not fucking hard, right?

11 Likes

Above all, I think Terry Gilliam has gotten old. I myself am fighting calcification of thinking “well, that’s the way the world is” and he’s a generation older than I am. It’s the filmmaker’s version of yelling at kids to get off of his lawn, I guess, especially if you got your big break in the BBC of the 1970s.

1 Like

Except, we’re what, 40-some odd years past the start of the second wave? It’s not like any of this conversation is even remotely new. It was the boomer women who started it, yet we’re still having to have the exact same conversation, two generations late and now a third is about to start having to have it. It’s frustrating and the age excuse seems like just that. Plenty of boomer, gen X, millennial, and now gen Z men know better.

26 Likes

I know, and you all have stated that quite eloquently. I suspect a younger Terry Gilliam would have answered differently.

And I do want to note that this goes back for generations, that it is a long uphill slog. The studio bosses of the Golden Age were even worse scum, so that to someone like Terry a guy like Weinstein still feels like an improvement. And that clouds his judgement.

I really don’t want to forgive Terry, I don’t. But I do want to understand where he’s coming from.

2 Likes

Gillian is commenting on the way things have been for many decades in Hollywood, he obviously hasn’t gotten the #timesup memo.

I can only hope that the hundreds of other (non-sexual) ways Hollywood exploits the ambitious, will someday be just as unacceptable.

3 Likes

Not necessarily, I’d argue. I don’t think it’s a function of age, I think it’s people who are just myopic, and the more social power one has, the more likely they are to be myopic about the struggles of others.

I can’t say for sure, but he just comes off as awfully dismissive about sexual harassment, except of the most obvious and egregious kind. It sucks, cause I like his work, very much. He was a member of one of the most beloved comedy groups of all time.

I also don’t think we need to compare him to Weinstein. He should be called out for what he said, and that’s all.

Weinstein has given them a run for their money. He might very well be arrested for rape.

19 Likes

Jesus Fucking Christ. Leaving aside that Weinstein is accused of forcible rape and going out of his way to actively destroy the careers of women who turned him down [so the idea that choice even remotely came into the situation is grossly offensive], offering career advancement for sexual “favors” is not fundamentally offering a choice in this context, especially when it’s a common practice. It stops being a choice and turns into a condition for working in the field. That’s monstrous.

32 Likes

He’s an artist. I expect better from him.

1 Like

He’s an artist. I’m sick of people trying to excuse abusive men on that basis.

10 Likes

Just to be clear, I’m not excusing him.

5 Likes

Roight! I didn’t think you were (and wouldn’t think you would :+1:).

8 Likes

What’s most troubling me is that Gilliam has two daughters and a son.

1 Like

*As should they!

*If any are still alive, but better late than never!

3 Likes

19 Likes