Terry Jones, of Monty Python fame, dead at 77

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/terry-jones-of-monty-python-f.html

11 Likes

I’m very sad. He was my favorite Pepperpot, and an incredibly creative and funny person.

20 Likes

Rest in peace, Mandy Cohen…

22 Likes

Wow, Eric Idle is still handsome at his age.

8 Likes

It was Jones who was the driving force behind abandoning punch lines at the end of sketches and developing what became the show’s trademark stream of consciousness.

It sounds very much like he effectively invented Monty Python.

I strongly recommend his series on the Crusades.

22 Likes

I think that Spike Milligan/The Goon Show effectively invented Monty Python. Without their surreal humour in the 1950s British comedy would look very different today. I think the Pythons would agree with me too.

Giants standing on the shoulders of giants.

Edit: I realised that this might look dismissive, it really isn’t the intention. I just hope to let todays 10,000 know about where Monty Python came from.

20 Likes

Outstanding comic, we need them now more than ever, good night sweet prince.

giphy

28 Likes

tumblr_ml7v65Yqo61s8t3eao8_250

18 Likes

He’s not dead. He’s just resting.

32 Likes

Pining for the fjords.
Thats very sad news. He was amazing.

13 Likes

Behind every well known genius there is a less-well-known inspiration and backwards and backwards until there is some weirdo with an objectively terrible idea that someone saw something in.

14 Likes

And now, the wafer-thin mint.

Alright, but just the one.

10 Likes

Sad to hear :frowning: I got to meet him when he was doing talks on his Barbarian series, I think around 2006 2007? I was happily surprised at how damn funny he was IRL.

8 Likes

Saint Peter looking up from Book of Life

“OH SHIT, IT’S MR. CRESOTE!”

13 Likes

Are you sure he’s not just sleeping?

13 Likes

15 Likes

Wait…I thought Brian’s father WASN’T Mr. Cohen?

5 Likes

Amazing that he survived so long after exploding in the restaurant. Congratulations to the surgical team!

8 Likes

I HATE groveling!

5 Likes

I will always treasure his columns such as this:

5 Likes