Terry Pratchett's legacy

You might want to have a look at @terryandrob on Twitter these days.

2 Likes

Respect to his estate for following through (although I’m not surprised that they did). Half finished works can be interesting, but they seldom do an author’s legacy any justice.

5 Likes

Strangely enough, there was no one driving Lord Jericho, and when it was found later, the cab was full of bits of string.

5 Likes

Was there something in particular that offended him so badly that he could not bear to imagine his name meeting a similar fate? Silverstein’s “Every Thing On It”, perhaps? Surely not Adams’ “The Salmon of Doubt”? (Hardly a great work, that one, but not in the least offensive.)

I did happen to pick up “The Witch’s Vacuum Cleaner” from the library the other day and found it to be not at all to my taste, but then I am hardly in the target age range for that.

Maybe it was people publishing James Joyce’s letters? :open_mouth:

1 Like

I doubt Sir Pterry would have written personal letters on his PC, and especially not love letters. Also, I don’t think it would raise many eyebrows of his letters would seem in any way unusual to the wider audience. He has a very solid fan base, but he isn’t a revered and locked-away (inter)national literary treasure like JJ. He seemed quite accessible, compared to most authors, actually. (I am still sorry I missed out on two opportunities to meet him in person when he was touring the continent years ago.)

It seems likely that he had similar dreads like everyone who writes: having people read unfinished texts which the author knows are crap (i.e. they think they still could have improved).

1 Like

The guardian describes him as “The author of over 70 novels,” so I suppose the loss of ten unfinished works can be taken in stride,.

Maybe they weren’t up to the standard of The Shepherd’s Crown.

2 Likes

Orrr. The Telegraph, misspelling Alzheimer’s disease. And not mentioning “early onset”.

BTW, no-one really needs to watch the mockumentary “Back in Black”, but the moment when @neilhimself’s voice broke left me very touched. Neil, I would love to have a drink with you some day and toast to your late friend.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.