Tesla sales down 41% in China

Originally published at: Tesla sales down 41% in China | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Um…  

16 Likes

Yeah, shouldn’t that be “will have boughten”?

Time travel tenses are always so confusing :smiley:

14 Likes

Apparently Chinese Tesla buyers who paid full price for theirs recently are also very upset by the huge year end price slashing and are protesting that as well!

ETA:

9 Likes
7 Likes

BYD in particular has been making huge gains (they’re currently the world’s largest electric car maker) and are planning on expanding into Europe in a big way.

5 Likes

Self-time-traveling cars don’t need operators. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I was saying here some time ago that there are a few issues here from talking to quite a lot of Chinese kids:
1 Chinese tech nationalism. It’s a huge source of national pride. I know that car buying tends towards nationalism anyway (Peugeot and Renault are bigger in France, BMW and VW bigger in Germany) but in particular with China high tech is how what they identify closely with, not just manufacturing,

2 The tech pride is particularly associated with AI which is the point of pride for Tesla for some reason. They, rightly, see China as a world leader in AI.

3 Undoubtedly unrelated but there are a LOT of news stories in China (I am told) about self driving Teslas killing people. They are developing a horrible reputation there.

4 And then of course being undercut by a plethora of Chinese brands, some of which have huge prestige and cachet locally.

This is totally second hand as I don’t read or speak Chinese, I just talk with young Chinese people daily.

6 Likes

That clip reminds me that there is money to be made removing the laughtracks from otherwise viewable television.

4 Likes

Americans who bought recently are none to happy either.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.