Testing an anti-satellite missile, Russia just created a dangerous debris field in the ISS path

I’m mad that ANYONE is doing this. :woman_shrugging: We’ve fucked our planet and now we’re fucking LEO. How about all humans stop doing this dumb ass, dick measuring BS? Can we do that, maybe? We’re killing ourselves and we need to stop.

9 Likes

oh yeah, totally agree…just trying to point out the selective anger/hypocrisy.

its ok if WE do it, but not if THEY do it? also we are ok with Putin doing all the violations of human rights that he does, but this is where we draw the line?

Yes. God forbid we criticize an actual authoritarian leader…

And I don’t think being critical of this means that many of us aren’t aware that other countries (including our own) have done this. :woman_shrugging: But this is a thing that JUST happened, and given his role in other ills happening right now, maybe there is a good reason to bring all of this up to light right now.

8 Likes

Pretty much. And I made the mistake of watching that in IMAX, where I’ve never been so afraid of space junk flying at my face.

4 Likes

Is the “space race” that Russia is in currently with the US or is it with Bezos, Musk and Branson?

2 Likes

Oh, sure. Everybody’s good, and everybody’s evil, in equal measure, It stands to reason.

3 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

The whataboutism on stuff like this is really irritating, especially when none of us are using a discussion of Putin to deflect from the problems here in the US… Like… read our other comments sometimes! We’re plenty critical of what’s happening in the US…

8 Likes

Oh, absolutely. Joe Biden is exactly as evil as rootin’ tootin’ vladi putin. /s

tophat-confused

2 Likes

In 2007, the Chinese tested their antii-satelite missile.

The russian response:

India’s recent test

Russia acknowledged India’s statement on the test not being targeted against any nation and invited India to join the Russian–Chinese proposal for a treaty against weaponisation of space.[52]

Presumably the establishment of the “Space Force” is an acknowledgement that the United States is not interested in such a treaty.

1 Like

IIRC Space Force is simply the realisation of a Trump brainfart.

3 Likes

Lock ourselves out of orbit until enough stuff deorbits on it’s own? Sure, what could possibly go wrong? And once this starts, it is exponential. Like a nuclear bomb exponential. Yeah, it’s a problem.

6 Likes

This article tries to persuade us otherwise.

It’s not terribly difficult-- the us military relies on a lot of satellites. And presumably, so does this scheme.

There would be a tactical advantage to disabling these satellites.

Maybe a compromise can be reached.

still belligerent, but without the risk of Kessler syndrome.

3 Likes

Maybe we can just all stop weaponizing space?

6 Likes

If your army relies on satellite technology for anything, congratulations: you’ve just weaponized space.

Maybe we can all stop weaponizing the planet?

7 Likes

Donald Glover Yes GIF

9 Likes

I’m not a rocket scientist. But couldn’t these tests be done by aiming ~10m to the left of the target satellite, and when the anti-satellite missile zooms past the target ~10m to the left, call it a success of the targeting and control system?

FFS, we’re too dumb for our own good.

3 Likes

If the United States military ever uses a weapon system in a way that creates a dangerous debris field threatening the existence of the ISS and everyone on it then please feel free to call them out on it.

Until then this kind of “whataboutism” is not a helpful response.

5 Likes

Does anyone know how long the ISS crew ended up having to shelter? Is the danger actually past?

2 Likes

The US tested a weapon in 1985

3 Likes