Texas and Uganda pass new anti-gay laws

But

8 Likes

Do breast implants count as “prosthetics that enhance the female or male form”?

Looking at the text of the bill it sounds like yes.

That bill refers to a definition of “performance” given here as ““Performance” means a play, motion picture, dance, or other exhibition performed before an audience.” And “obscene” is defined in Texas statute as:

(1) “Obscene” means material or a performance that:

(A) the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that taken as a whole appeals to the prurient interest in sex;

(B) depicts or describes:

(i) patently offensive representations or descriptions of ultimate sexual acts, normal or perverted, actual or simulated, including sexual intercourse, sodomy, and sexual bestiality; or

(ii) patently offensive representations or descriptions of masturbation, excretory functions, sadism, masochism, lewd exhibition of the genitals, the male or female genitals in a state of sexual stimulation or arousal, covered male genitals in a discernibly turgid state or a device designed and marketed as useful primarily for stimulation of the human genital organs; and

(C) taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, and scientific value.

I’m not a lawyer but how long before they charge a woman who’s had breast augmentation surgery who’s walking down the street wearing something that in their opinion doesn’t cover enough of their body under the new law?

5 Likes

If cis women are not an intended target, never. Pursuing an absurd case is a great way to get the law struck down.

10 Likes

groomers! Youth Camps – Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders

8 Likes

it’s pretty much guaranteed that all uses of this law will be absurd. i think you mean, pursing a case that conflicts with the way conservative white male judges think the world should work will get the law struck down

if they could pass a law requiring implants for women, i’m sure they would

8 Likes

My first thought on this is … what about ordinary breast implants? Should Dolly Parton avoid Texas?

I assume this law is going to be mostly tossed out in court. Uganda’s law, on the other hand, doesn’t change anything at a practical level, as visible homosexuality is already very dangerous all over Africa.

3 Likes

If you aren’t male or female, these laws don’t apply.
Of course it’s probably illegal to claim to be both, or neither.

2 Likes

I’d be astonished if someone in the Texas legislature didn’t propose similar laws.

6 Likes

5 Likes

taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, and scientific value.

I wonder if they spend about 5 minutes at the start explaining Planck’s constant, or just get random PhD’s to briefly summarize their thesis as part of the closing act.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t this also ban Texas’s favorite male prosthetic, the AR-15 assault rifle? And all other hand guns semi automatic rifles for that matter? They didn’t think this through, did they.

7 Likes

I’ve heard :wink: that some adult movies are set in classrooms with the performers playing “students” and/or “teachers”. So perhaps those movies will actually try to teach something of literary, artistic, political, or scientific value before the “students” and/or “teachers” take their clothes off.

Maybe show a picture of Michaelangelo’s David or Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus” and discuss its artistic value for a minute or two before a performer offers to let their fellow performers compare their body to the artwork.

5 Likes

7 Likes

worst “union state”

6 Likes

Don’t forget breast feeding. That particular public performance has been known to be titillating (If you’ll pardon the pun) @catsidhe.

3 Likes

9 Likes

3 Likes

and you know what? vague as fuck laws like the one you’re commenting on is why areas in the u.s. are becoming as dangerous as africa when it comes to the rights of lgbtq people. real people are being hurt by these laws and all you seem to be able to do is make dolly parton jokes,

very helpful.

4 Likes

Also, another thing is that Africa is not a monolith, and I’m a little sick of some treating it as such…

8 Likes

On the one hand, it has over three times the area and four times the population of the USA…but on the other it’s outside the USA so how could it not all be just one thing… :unamused:

4 Likes