Texas doctor says he gave woman abortion to defy state ban

Is there any remote chance that the plaintiff was secretly hand-selected by the folks in the Center for Reproductive Rights, in order to create a case that could go all the way up to the Supreme Court, with an unlikable plaintiff and bumbling lawyers? Unlikely, I know, but…

3 Likes

The assholes who pushed through the god-awful abortion bill are predictably trying to distance themselves from exactly the kind of person this bill was written to empower.

“Neither of these lawsuits are valid attempts to save innocent human lives,” said John Seago, legislative director for Texas Right to Life, the state’s largest anti-abortion group, which lobbied for the new abortion law. “Both cases are self-serving legal stunts, abusing the cause of action created in the Texas Heartbeat Act for their own purposes.”

6 Likes

Neither is your stupid law. A 6 week old fetus is by no means viable outside of the womb. In terms of sheer numbers, that god of yours [no, not You Know Who] is the most bloodthirsty abortionist on earth.

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, Pot.

These Fundies never see the irony in their own twaddle, do they…
Hmmm. The actual heart doesn’t develop until considerably later in fetal development. Maybe a lawyer that knows fundamentals of human biology could make use of this fact.

Kudos to the doctor for forcing the issue. I didn’t expect this to happen this soon, but I’m not gonna bet on this SCOTUS to strike down this law.

8 Likes

I’m going to generally assume the wording details are just generally bizarre, but if I were being extremely generous, I could interpret that as a reference to some Jewish sources claiming that, before birth, abortion is mandatory in cases where the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother, and permitted in some other cases? Possibly trying to lay groundwork for a 1st amendment challenge on grounds of religious freedom?

1 Like

He will probably stipulate to having done it, since he wants to be sued as a test case, and stipulating to it will prevent motions for discovery of details such as the name of the patient.

IANAL, though, so I’m guessing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.