Texas lawmakers want Death Penalty for women who get abortions

If the goal is for the child to not suffer (because clearly an embryo can feel that…) then you shouldn’t have a child to begin with. I did not consent to being born and some recent events have made me even less interested in forcing someone else to exist as well.

Free abortions for everyone who wants them obviously.

4 Likes

If lawmakers in Texas would worry less about fetal personhood and do more to provide the persons living in their state with education, opportunity, and healthcare, they would probably have fewer people on death row and would likely reduce the number of women seeking abortions. One could be forgiven for reaching the conclusion that laws like this are about controlling women, not about protecting life.

Just a thought.

27 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss and the cruelty you were forced to endure while going through such a heartbreaking event. Everyone has their own stories, and everyone is fighting their own battles. These decisions shouldn’t be for public ridicule or public policy.

13 Likes

If you ever meet a “pro-lifer” in person, NEVER use that term for them. Instead, call them “pro-government”, since that’s the organization they want to control women.

It’ll probably trigger them, so watch out for flying bullets (a not atypical response of the delicate snowflakes)

11 Likes

Questions.

1 - If the abortion is performed in another state where it is legal is the mother still charged as a murderer?

2 - If a woman from another state who has an abortion enters Texas is she considered a murderer?

11 Likes

You are trying to apply logic to nonsense.

19 Likes

Both should be out of Texas’s jurisdiction. You don’t get tried in Texas for shooting a guy in Oklahoma, even if the guy was a Texan.

7 Likes

Some clarification. First, this will never pass. It’s been tried before and failed…miserably. It’s being proposed as a CYA effort because he and the other sponsors of this bill got elected on single issue money donations and this is that issue. It’s just a dog and pony show for the rubes.

15 Likes

Abortion has NEVER been about life, except for the Useful Tools whom conservative politicians grift votes from.

The only issues that the conservative PTB really care about are tax cuts (for them only), and less regulation (for them or their businesses only).

1 Like

I figured it was being proposed so it could be appealed up to the Supreme Court so they can finally overturn Roe v. Wade, now that the court is sufficiently packed with ideologues.

12 Likes

I’ve heard the term y’allQuida used.

You know, it’s fine for people to believe in the Bible, if they feel it gives them direction and drive in life. I applaud them for finding something like that. But you should then be bound by the rest of it, which also mentions to respect your neighbors beliefs and basically let people do what they want to do. And there’s that whole you can’t wear polyester thing that’s amusing too.

And of course, all that said, no book should affect any law here in the United States. Separation of church and state, after all.

11 Likes

They’ll only take it that far if they don’t need abortion as a Wedge Issue (an issue to distract conservative voters)

Or, even if they still need it as a Wedge Issue, they might let Roe be overturned so they can enact a bunch of new government-surveillance laws “because of all those uppity women who think their body belongs to themselves!”

It’s ironic that the more they spiral into what the trumpian doctrine has unleashed the closer they get to being just like the people they despise in the rest of the world.

Sooner or later they will be chopping off the hands of criminals in city parks.

10 Likes

Naw. They don’t expect this to get out of the house mush less make it past the governors office.It’s just a show for the religious people who still like to kill people. They donate a lot of money in this state.
Expect to see this thing come up every 2 years for a while.

2 Likes

What is ironic - sadly, not just as an abstract bit of idiocy, but a real irony that affects real people - is the fact that abortion is more or less not a big deal in the actual Bible.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html

8 Likes

It seems to be prescribed as well in the OT:

8 Likes

These assholes predate the Taliban, they’ve just become more vocal and taken over the mainstream of the GOP since Reagan.

27 Likes

I’m so sorry… but thanks for sharing that story. I know that your experiences aren’t unique at all, which really breaks my heart.

26 Likes

I am pro choice, and I riot.

15 Likes

0d9d2427d326c7c36b2f4529524961dd--perfect-sense-political-cartoons

31 Likes