Texas man illegally detained and truck ransacked by cops: video exposes rights violations

Probable Paws would make a great name for a police dog.

6 Likes

OMG that is the greatest idea I’ve heard in weeks. :joy:

1 Like

There are actually pretty strict rules about how closely fake money can resemble real money. Most prop money IS technically counterfeit under the law. A brick of prop money would just give the police a reason to arrest you. Even if the feds declined to prosecute you, or you were freed in court, the arrest will certainly ruin your day.

This reminds me of how David Simon talks about how corrupting the drug war has been on policing. The whole “stop and frisk,” farce has meant that many police no longer even bother to do good police work.

In addition to any robbing that the cop might have planned to do, certain communities in Texas are heavily dependent on jail fees and settlements as people are often moving weed through the state. Even if the charges get dropped they still make money. Until the incentives are gone this is going to happen to anyone they think they can get an arrest out of. I hope truckers can improve that situation with enough legal representation.

3 Likes

Of course the surprising thing here is that the cop basically ADMITTED that he was on a fishing expedition. ISTM that a competent lawyer would have advised them to settle before these tapes were released.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.