Texas mayor to power outage residents: the city "owes you NOTHING!" He then resigns from backlash

I seperate the genuine preppers from the survivalists. There are good reasons to keep a month or two of canned and dried food that is eaten and replaced over time.

Britain is fairly stable usually, when we aren’t having dumb ideas like leaving the EU, but I have a month of food just in case the DWP decide to cut me off my disability benefits. I think the worst I have seen was when Carlisle got flooded in 2005 shortly after I left and no-one could get in to stock the shops. That was over after a couple of weeks.

You don’t carve your underwear! You sew it together with nettle leaves and poison ivy.

16 Likes

Another fine example of a poorly-raised conservative/libertarian elected “leader” living off the handouts granted by their position, too lazy to have established a game plan, too weak to think outside the box to protect their charge, sinking and crying when confronted with consequences, and childishly throwing the same labels at his constituents when faced with accountability.

Perhaps he should deal with the death threats on his own since he’s a big advocate of taking care of his own family and being part of the solution. God gave him the tools to support himself in times like these.

14 Likes

IMO, if they’re using the English language (and on the internet, at that), they’re no rugged individualist.

4 Likes

Well, there’s a reason utilities are often monopolies. Otherwise you would need multiple water supply lines, sewage connections, gas lines and/or electrical connections to each residence in order for there to be competition. The key is ensuring these utilities are closely and carefully regulated - which too often fails due to cronyism and regulatory capture.

8 Likes

Sith Lords usually still make a public show of pretending to care about the wellbeing of the people they govern.

palpatine

11 Likes
22 Likes

Hey, read the thread - he’s got a can opener! It’s electric.

His whole notion of “civilizational collapse” that he was ostensibly preparing for, was premised on everything staying exactly the same, for the infrastructure to still be working. /SMDH

10 Likes

The fallout from this will undoubtedly be condemned (by idiots) as “cancel culture” against the (former) mayor and his wife, but is instead exactly how things should work under “consequence culture.”

7 Likes

Reader’s Digest version. (Does that still exist?)

3 Likes

The thing I learned from backpacking and wilderness survival courses is just how dependant everyone is on modern society and technology.

Like you and @docosc said, It’s worth it to have food and supplies to ride out a local disaster, and maybe some extra to help your neighbors, but, man, anything more than that is wishful thinking. The preppers aren’t studying how indigenous societies lived nor what technology they developed to live in the US.

(Edit: not to mention, the latter plan involves seeing indigenous societies as sophisticated and worthy of respect. Which they totally are…but…we are talking about members of the republican base…)

11 Likes

That actually seems like a creative way to stick to ration scheduling.

If you hate green beans and broccoli, and that’s all you got, you can really make it stretch.

5 Likes

Sounds like a GOP election campaign.

6 Likes

I have thought about trying a bit of this before, not very seriously, but it is difficult to get into prepping ‘just a bit’. You go ‘all in’ with the bunker of beans and bullets, or you should just keep a well-stocked pantry and keep a portable gas cooker with plenty of gas clyniders.

The bigger the stockpile of food, the bigger the waste (unless you are eating the older cans/jars ~2 meals a day). Good luck trying to have a well-balanced diet.

Only if it affects someone other than themselves.
Most republicans are hard-line capitalists until they themselves are in trouble, then they suddenly become all about the state’s responsibility to take care of them (and only them!) through troubled times. Of course, they go back to hard-line “screw you I got mine” capitalists as soon as they’re back on their feet.

I think we all know we can look forward to seeing Tim Boyd(citizen) running for Governor of Texas as the favoured Republican candidate next election. He’s got just the right level of “fuck everyone who isn’t me” combined with “Wah! I’m being oppressed!” to be a sure fit.

7 Likes

“How many times did I say it, Harold? How many times? ‘Make sure that bomb shelter’s got a can opener - ain’t much good without a can opener,’ I said.”

9 Likes

A true survivalist would have one of these!

14 Likes

This is why I persist in living in Canada despite having family in the States and having once foolishly applied for a Green Card with family as sponsors. Dodged a bullet there (maybe literally).

2 Likes

"We are very fond of pine-apple, all three of us. We looked at the picture on the tin; we thought of the juice. We smiled at one another, and Harris got a spoon ready.

Then we looked for the knife to open the tin with. We turned out everything in the hamper. We turned out the bags. We pulled up the boards at the bottom of the boat. We took everything out on to the bank and shook it. There was no tin-opener to be found.

Then Harris tried to open the tin with a pocket-knife, and broke the knife and cut himself badly; and George tried a pair of scissors, and the scissors flew up, and nearly put his eye out. While they were dressing their wounds, I tried to make a hole in the thing with the spiky end of the hitcher, and the hitcher slipped and jerked me out between the boat and the bank into two feet of muddy water, and the tin rolled over, uninjured, and broke a teacup.

Then we all got mad. We took that tin out on the bank, and Harris went up into a field and got a big sharp stone, and I went back into the boat and brought out the mast, and George held the tin and Harris held the sharp end of his stone against the top of it, and I took the mast and poised it high up in the air, and gathered up all my strength and brought it down.

It was George’s straw hat that saved his life that day. He keeps that hat now (what is left of it), and, of a winter’s evening, when the pipes are lit and the boys are telling stretchers about the dangers they have passed through, George brings it down and shows it round, and the stirring tale is told anew, with fresh exaggerations every time.

Harris got off with merely a flesh wound.

After that, I took the tin off myself, and hammered at it with the mast till I was worn out and sick at heart, whereupon Harris took it in hand.

We beat it out flat; we beat it back square; we battered it into every form known to geometry – but we could not make a hole in it. Then George went at it, and knocked it into a shape, so strange, so weird, so unearthly in its wild hideousness, that he got frightened and threw away the mast. Then we all three sat round it on the grass and looked at it."

– Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

22 Likes

Real men open their Spagetti-O’s by shooting the top off /s :rofl:

10 Likes

Rugged individualist. Now with extra rugs. And jeering at his neighbours who have not got any rugs. What a hero.

7 Likes