Texas Republicans push death penalty for women who get abortions and IVF (video)

All life is sacred, except when it isn’t.

2 Likes

You made it further than I did. I stopped watching after he said they were explicitly a Christian organization, after starting his talk by saying “Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, life for a life.” That is explicitly an Old Testament approach to justice directly and unequivocally rejected by Jesus.

7 Likes

such an odd phrase. you’d think it means you’re required to live to replace another person’s life. instead people insist it means death for a death. :confused:

4 Likes

Interestingly, that rule itself was intended to stop escalation of conflicts. Left to their own devices, people can be, “You let your sheep graze on my land? I’m going to kill one of your sheep.” “Oh yeah, you killed one of my sheep? I’m going to slaughter your entire herd.” “Oh really? Well then I’m going to kill your wife and kids.” And so on. And I don’t really mean that literally, but people often want to impose the death penalty for things like theft. The eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth was meant to impose reasonable punishment for crimes rather than excessive ones. The 8th Amendment of the ancient world, so to speak.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.