Texas' state run psychiatric hospitals are now gun friendly

If I read the article correctly, it says they’re not allowed into the parts of the buildings where the patients are, but they’re allowed on campus and in non-patient areas. So you could have a gun in your car, or when you’re going to talk to some administrator, or going to your job cooking meals, but can’t take it when you’re visiting a patient. Non-state-run licensed psychiatric facilities can still ban guns, but this fell through the cracks because the state doesn’t license state-run facilities, though when a legislator tried to amend the bill to cover this case, it got squashed for being politically incorrect.

“On state psychiatric hospital property, visitors typically meet with patients in rooms adjacent to units where residents live. Those visits are either monitored or staffers are nearby, Williams said. People, usually friends and family, can also enter the building to attend meetings, participate in therapy or do other things.”

Plus there’s also intake and such. It basically excludes wards and controlled visiting areas.

Lithium, lead. Hey, one metal works just as well as another, right?

2 Likes

You know, there’s probably a few people in the psychiatric hospital system specifically because of lead. It’s not so good for your brain.

Would that be ironic? Or just coincidental?

3 Likes

Do all the John Waynes get six shooters, and the George Washingtons get musket? Are these collectors pieces for historical reenactment we’re regulating? :wink:

4 Likes

why not be so fucking pedantic when someone wants to fix things for me and throw in a lecture as part of the fixing? As far as it being the meaning in some subset of dictionaries, hell I don’t know. it was the first dictionary in the results when I googled inmate definition.

or is the don’t be so fucking pedantic meaning - when someone has used a word with its dictionary meaning don’t correct them with an even better word and add in a morally enlightening lecture as part of the process - just not certain as to which pedantry you found too much?

3 Likes

Just turn it into a horse hospital and put them down ASAP right?

3 Likes
State Rep. Matt Rinaldi, R-Irving, supports the new law and said he doesn’t have a problem with legally obtained and licensed guns in the hospitals. “It’s the responsibility of the operators of the facilities to ensure that the patients are not around dangerous weapons,” he said.
The hospitals had a working solution: Guns were not permitted.
16 Likes

When I checked myself in and was on the other side of the equation, the staff did the same thing. And that was in libertarian Arizona. A guy there accidentally washed his clothes slightly wrong (as in at 11:00 am, not 10:30) and he was denied cutlery.

So, you can’t have a plastic fork, but a sidearm is okay? I boggle.

8 Likes

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a borderline personality disorder sufferer with a gun. . .

5 Likes

Totally true. I thought I was cray cray, so i decided to ‘take a vacation’ to clear my head and talk to professionals.

Holy crap were my eyes opened.

Every. Single. Person was self destructive. Noone wanted to hurt anyone else, but themselves. On the one hand it was extremely cathartic to see how others struggled. On the other hand it reinforced that while I’m a crazy mutant… I’m not that far gone.

Honestly, I suggest that most people should spend a little time in inpatient, or group, or a 12 step program, even if you are a model citizen. It will have an empathetic lasting effect.

Eta

And to bring it back around, firearms are beyond useless in mental health or addiction facilities. Even the thought of them outside or in a locker is enough to bring on extreme anxiety attacks.

23 Likes

I believe you left the sarcasm tag open on your first post, no? Sometimes it is best to throw in a wink and a nod, else people think you’re making light of the unfortunate goat rodeo, whereas I think you are employing irony/sarcasm to cast light on the unfortunate goat rodeo. Yeah?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Politicians make bad laws with unforeseen issues.

No… what? I don’t believe it. This has to be some anti-government propaganda or something.

1 Like

16 Likes

That article is pretty slanted. The new law (which I am not in favor of), just allows people who already had concealed handgun permits, to also open carry. People who had permits could have legally brought them into those 10 hospitals in past, so the law is not allowing guns in places where they were previously banned. And despite a valiant effort to slant the story, if you read it carefully, you’ll see I’m correct.

In not in favor of open carry, but I’m also not in favor of crappy journalism, which this is.

2 Likes

Since Texans keep getting elected as US Presidents, no one is safe.

It may be legal, and it may have always been legal (with open carry an exception), but carrying a visible firearm into a mental health facility is just… Well i honestly don’t want to be insulting (really, I don’t)… A dick move. Like super dick move.

Spend two days in one, and you will quickly understand why it is a bad idea. *

* apart from the fact that 50% of mental health workers are ineffectual, but that is a different discussion.

15 Likes

I’m not defending zieroh’s… ‘intemperate’ response to you, but I think the essential point is that a precise dictionary definition is utterly irrelevant when ‘inmate’ has the generally-understood negative implication.

2 Likes

No metal cutlery? Is that common? The psyc ward I work in has metal cutlery and ceramic crockery and patients can even access a small kitchenette that has some sharp knives. I work with over 65s. Maybe the younger adults and teens don’t get cutlery.

3 Likes