Texting driver on cyclist she struck: "I just don't care"

[Permalink]

[quote]The cyclist suffered a spinal fracture which required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourneā€™s Austin Hospital. He was originally told he could be left a paraplegic and spent three months recovering.

He also suffered a broken big toe and lacerations to his head and body.[/quote]
Oh, Nooo! Not the big toe!

3 Likes

I canā€™t say that Iā€™m surprised by the fact that sheā€™s a gigantic asshole; but I am somewhat surprised by howā€¦unpragmaticā€¦she is about it. Are Australian cops notoriously sympathetic and unlikely to use damaging statements against you or something?

I would have expected some crocodile tears, just for strategyā€™s sake.

8 Likes

I kind of wondered if there was a factor in the incident not properly recorded and therefore unreportable without a lot of potential trouble in those libel-tastic commonwealth countries.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s an honest sociopath, Iā€™ll give her that.

16 Likes

I wonder if this is the same Kimberley Davis from Port Fairy: http://www.moyneyana.port-fairy.com/index.php?page=moyneyana-festival-hits-town-22-12-2011

1 Like

Motorists vs. Cyclists in 3ā€¦ 2ā€¦

No? Everyone agrees that texting and driving is stupid?

8 Likes

Yeah, it always hurts when the opposing team scores one against Team Darwin.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t a P plate supposed to mean ā€œfuck this up, and you donā€™t get a license?ā€

4 Likes

"I donā€™t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist.ā€

She then went on to say she doesnā€™t agree that the pope is Catholic or that bears shit in the woods.

My father used to work with a guy whoā€™d been arrested multiple times for DUI. After each arrest heā€™d say, ā€œIā€™ll do my time and when itā€™s done Iā€™ll be back on the road again. I hope I donā€™t kill anybody.ā€

As appalling as his attitude was at least he knew his actions could harm someone else. He may not have cared, but he didnā€™t deny the reality. This woman has taken it to a whole new level.

6 Likes

Give it more time. We need a dozen or more posts before the obligatory ā€˜I saw a cyclist run a red light so thereā€™ post.

8 Likes

She needs some scarlet letter type justice. A tattoo on her forehead that reads something like ā€œIā€™m a terrible human.ā€

Or maybe a mandate that the only vehicle she is allowed to operate is a moped or bicycle.

8 Likes

I say only a bicycle. Let her find out what itā€™s like to be on the other end.

I donā€™t want her to suffer any physical injury, but, ideally, sheā€™ll get a sense of how dangerous distracted driving can be.

8 Likes

Thatā€™d give the ā€œI saw a cyclist texting so thereā€ team a whole lot of materialā€¦

3 Likes

ā€œIā€™m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car."

Huh?

The cyclist was on the edge of the road heading west when Davis hit him from behind

I get the feeling thereā€™s some context missing here.

1 Like

Reminds me of this charmer:

Iā€™ve seen plenty of cyclists run red lights. Doesnā€™t mean they deserve to get hit by a car.

6 Likes

As someone who rides both bicycle and car, I can say with certainty that any negative reputations on either side of the coin are deserved. People are just the worst when it comes to the roads.

14 Likes

I should pull over to say so, but yes.

6 Likes

as individuals, yes.

As 3500 lbs vs. 200 lbsā€¦ HELL NO

6 Likes