Thanks to the meth wars, cold medicine's effective ingredient isn't

Those actually contain epinephrine, not ephedrine.

1 Like

1ppm capsaicin means that in that 20mL bottle of SinusBuster, there is approximately 0.02 ĀµL (which is 0.00002 mL). This is close enough to zero to be zero as far as cayenne is concerned.

What probably works (temporarily) with you is the eucalyptol. Youā€™re better off with camphor or menthol, thoughā€¦

2 Likes

A list of brand namesā€¦Sudafed the only one I recognize, and not even sure about the PE, but Iā€™ll be on the lookout for it now.

As some have said, you can usually get it over the counter in the US. (I did not know some states donā€™t even sell it at all, as one poster said is the case in Florida.) It requires an ID and at least in some states, if not all, there is actually a system that calculates how much you can buy per month. Different states have different amounts. It is a per month limit. The major pharmacies are signed up.

Ephedrine, I canā€™t tell the difference, and is regulated in the exact same way.

Just depends on dosage I think, in terms of telling the difference. I tend to take a high dosage when I use it.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely ephedrine. Epinephrine is adrenaline.

3 Likes

In Oregon, pseudoephedrine requires a prescription. In WA, it just requires a driverā€™s license (or other id).

1 Like

Just wondering, why is pseudoephedrine the standard medicine to treat common cold symptoms in the US and some other countries? Why use a systemically acting agent instead of using topical decongestants like oxymetazoline sprays? Is it more effective than the topical stuff?

To me, topical decongestants seem to be the better option. Less side effects, and not a precursor of a street drug.

Fun fact: a rare but known side effect of ephedrine products is that some people react very strangely to it. Not just the opposite effect (like Benadryl: wakes some people up, puts some people to sleep) but rather it can make people act like theyā€™re overdosing on speed: high anxiety, belligerent, etc.

1 Like

because topical decongestants have a tendency to cause ā€œreboundā€ congestion if you use them too long.

3 Likes

I dispute the notion that phenylephrine lacks efficacy. It is incredibly effective ā€“ just not at relieving sinus congestion. Iā€™ve found that it very reliably gives me heart palpitations. ā€œThere are no side effects, there are only effects.ā€ ā€“ Brian Enoā€‹

4 Likes

Iā€™ve found that if the stoppage is particularly severe, it doesnā€™t help at all ā€“ once the saline went ā€œpastā€(?) my sinuses and straight up my eustachian tube, and stayed there for an hour or two, giving me a fierce headache.

YIKES! Netti pots are definitely not for you.

This. Every doctor Iā€™ve ever had recommends against nasal sprays like Otrivan etc.
(Also Sudafed makes you able to get up and do things again)

1 Like

You can trace the act of cow orking at least as far back as 1989, as any former Usenet denizen can tell you. http://zvon.org/comp/r/ref-Jargon_file.html#Terms~cow_orker

2 Likes

Given that they card you for buying even tiny boxes of sudafed, Iā€™ve always wanted to start a small-batch meth interest, just to spite them. What can I do with 12 tablets?

Well, that was just one time, and after that I knew better. If the water wonā€™t freely flow from one side to the other then I know to stop trying. What seems to help me as much as anything is an inhaler ā€“ I used to get Ayr menthol inhalers, but now the only ones I can find (e.g. Vicks) also have, ironically, ā€œmethamfetamineā€ [sic].

1 Like

Yea, this is true. Some years back I was traveling with my son who had a horrible head cold, and I didnā€™t want him to be tortured on the plane ride back. Couldnā€™t get it without a prescription.

Now, fast forward a few years and Iā€™m out there visiting my mother for the last time (she was in hospice care). I was literally able to go down to the same pharmacy and pick up her morphine prescription without even showing any ID.

War on drugs: meth continues unabated, lots of folks have stuffy noses. Surely a win/win for the drug warriors!

7 Likes

Who wants that? When Iā€™m sick, I want to wallow in my misery alone.

5 Likes

Sometimes its nice to shower or eat when one is sickā€¦

2 Likes

Depending on the severity of your symptoms the big 12 hour time-release pills can get you back to 90% normal. Plus dry mouth and a little sweatiness and some jitters if youā€™re particularly sensitive.

Itā€™s a great drug. Effective for its stated purpose plus some stimulant action that actually does make you generally feel better for awhile.

2 Likes