Thanks to the meth wars, cold medicine's effective ingredient isn't

If you’ve got some basic chemistry experience you can always make your own pseudoephedrine. Just go to your local meth dealer and obtain a baggie of crystal and then follow these steps: A Simple and Convenient Synthesis of Pseudoephedrine From N-Methylamphetamine

19 Likes

I have to show my license to buy CHILDREN’S Sudafed. Fucking ridiculous.

4 Likes

Just make sure to read the fine print: http://www.keenpharmacy.co.uk/images/l/1000615.jpg

2 Likes

It may be an excess of caffeine this morning, but the whole “cow orking” thing just seems terribly ripe for humor. Here are the first few things that come to mind:

• “The first rule of cow orking is you do not talk about cow orking”
  • Numerous setups, all of which terminate in the punchline “That’s what she said!”
  • Nighttime co-worker tipping raids (and urban myth spinoffs thereof)
  • Verrrrry carefully!
3 Likes

Around when pseudoephedrine started to disappear, I bought a sack of ephedra - aka ma huang - the plant that ephedrine is extracted from. I still have about 1/3 of it left. The plant itself is not regulated, although the herb company I bought mine from no longer offers it. It can also be cheaper to add half a capsule of ephedra to allergy medicine rather than go through the extra trouble to buy the pseudoephedrine version.

3 Likes

Gotdammit! I just checked the Canadian site and lo, the “regular” are that too!!!
But the 12hr ones are 120mg of pseudoephedrine!! Thats so dumb!!

I used to buy the 30mg tabs in a bottle! Then they stopped selling them and I had to buy 60mgs and cut them in half. Now I can’t even get those? I have to buy 120mgs? Holy crap!

3 Likes

Grows wild out here in the desert:

3 Likes

This post is brought to you by Big Pharma. Apparently their bottom-line is impacted so much by the fact that people have to hand over ID at the counter (not in all states by far) that they are spreading FUD.
Meds containing (pseudo-)ephedrine are still available. The only people affected are smurfers but because they buy a LOT of meds compaired to real cold-sufferers I wouldn’t be surprised if they accounted for the larger part of sales.

I just have a policy that when I pick up a prescription I also pick up a pack of Sudafed.

4 Likes

I prefer the term, “Mental Health day”.

Thanks to the meth wars, cold medicine’s effective ingredient isn’t.

Well, duh. That’s why you have to add two three six fingers of whiskey to the mix. And then mosdef drive a car or operate the heaviest of machinery. With guns, if possible.

DIS–AAAAA–POINTEEEEEDDDDD!

5 Likes

Every pharmacy I’ve asked for Bronkaid or Primatene at in the last year has told me it’s been discontinued. Mostly Publix or Krogers but they don’t seem to like selling it anymore. In Georgia at least. Pseudophedrine just needs the ID. Last time I bought some they handed me the 12/hr stuff though…swear it gave me auditory hallucinations in the evening. No more of that stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, Papa Smurf cooking meth ruined it for all the rest of us.

Edit: I’m now envisioning some sort of Smurf / Breaking Bad mashup.

3 Likes

Thanks tweekers everywhere!

One does not simply ork a cow.

2 Likes

Nevermind …

4 Likes

A netti pot is the only thing that works for me for nasal congestion besides pseudoephedrine and they only seem to be effective for around an hour before I need to do it again.

4 Likes

It’s pretty ard ork.

1 Like

Last time I bought real Sudafed I had to take out my ID, get it scanned, sign the book and the EULA that promised all kinds of bad things if I broke the rules. Just to get eight tablets of it.

Yet the guy selling meth in the parking lot of the RiteAid as I was leaving just wanted money.

Not even kidding.

8 Likes

Right, because it’s treating the symptoms, not changing anything that’s actually wrong.

Claritin D (claritin+sudafed) is the only thing that keeps me functioning during a sinusitis flare up.

2 Likes

I like SinusBuster for mild stuff and sinus headache. Yes, it’s “homeopathic” but if you do the math and consider it’s capsaicin, it’s got active ingredient. 1000M Korsakovian gets you to 1ppm (from their faq) which is 15 Scoville units. Not like spraying hot sauce up your nose but it does trigger a reaction for me.

I get pseudoephedrine OTC with ID but when it’s bad I’ll use oxymetazoline spray for a couple days and use the pseudoephedrine afterwards to deal with rebound congestion.

PE is only effective at spiking blood pressure, in my experience.

2 Likes