Thanks to the meth wars, cold medicine's effective ingredient isn't

He’s offering you, in a licensed and official capacity, something he knew was bullshit. Or at the very least should have known was bullshit. Homeopathy has been around for quite a long time, and has been empirically and conclusively debunked for nearly as long. I can’t trust a doctor who recommends it any more than I can trust a doctor who recommends bloodletting and leeches and promulgates the hypothesis of the four humors. He may not be a complete quack, but he’s incompetent to practice medicine regardless.

“in my experience, 12 people felt better when I lied to them and suggested water and sugar pills are as effective for the common cold as some real medicine.”

1 Like

While in the past they were no doubt used in all sorts of dubious ways, leeches are a part of modern science based medicine, as gross as you may find them.

3 Likes

We reached the point were we can only agree that we disagree. He never lied to me and the placebo effect is an existing and insufficient understood phenomenon.

Not everything is black or white, if you would use the arguments above to decry a miracle healer using prayers and water baths to treat cancer I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

2 Likes

I meant their use in relation to the achaic idea of having “tainted blood” that a leech can separate out.

In modern medicine the most time-efficient treatment for acute and dangerous Hemochromatosis (Iron overload).

You know, ideas about how the human body works that haven’t been researched at all, or else proven false already.

1 Like

How are prayers and water baths less plausible than pure (or possibly contaminated water with random shit in it. We don’t regulate the manufacture of homeopathic remedies officially) water and sugar pills?

1 Like

I had a cold and the real advice of the doc was “stay home, here’s your sick certificate for a week. come back when you still feel bad in a few days”*.

*) this is probably the best place to write that I never walked to a pharmacy to get the pills

2 Likes

I personally am intolerant of sprays. I would also add that in severe congestion cases, the sinus may be so closed off that sprays are unable to reach the areas that need the medication.

Pseudoephadrine is a miracle - one pill, and 15 minutes later the sinus pain is gone. No side effects (for me, at least), no long-term health effects, no overdose chance - my ENT told me, and I quote “Take as many as you need - you would need to take hundreds a day to have issues”.

And then some D-bags decide that since they can be used to make drugs - I get to be in pain. (I can present my ID and get enough to eliminate the sinus pain for a while - but in the end, it’s difficult and expensive, and you tend to run out, and the sinus pain is not debilitating so you live with it).

yay?

But the article made me laugh - anyone who actually benefitted from pseudoephadrine prior to it being restricted can tell you first hand the over-the-counter substitute is ineffective. Those who think the OTC stuff works - well, placebo can be a powerful thing…

1 Like

I’ve only got just the one trollichlorian; that’s why it’s so strong.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.