That '100% pure' Parmesan Cheese you're enjoying may contain wood pulp

So… fake cheese gets you jail time, but not wrecking the economy?

15 Likes

Nor are they heads.

3 Likes

Why is something that happened in 2012 just now news?

1 Like

Bonus point for putting it back into the Kraft jar and then serving it to guests. I do that all the time and I just love their reaction. :slightly_smiling:

9 Likes

I lived off Romano from this place when I went to Rome. Deliciously salty and tangy. Cheap: Bread and cheese were about the only affordable thing but that’s all I needed. It was so good. and the staff were very friendly to the American tourists. This is the good stuff. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antica+Caciara/@41.8856379,12.4716442,21z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xf29c65dd2662e851

2 Likes

So the actual scandal here is that manufacturers are adulterating (or completely replacing) their “parmesan” with cheaper cheeses and/or larger-than-normal amounts of cellulose, without labeling accordingly. That’s fraud, obviously, and should be stopped and punished, but I wish the focus was on the facts rather than going “WOOD PULP” as if food-grade cellulose is something they scrape out of a sawmill, rather than a perfectly normal and safe (and desirable, in small quantities) food additive.

8 Likes

Right? Cheese can be so binding without that extra bit of fiber.

3 Likes

Come on, man! It’s cheese.

3 Likes

So… People actually bought pre-grated parm in a can and expected it to not taste like sawdust?

4 Likes

Except it’s NOT cheese.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this be healthier than eating that much cheese? Plus, a good source of fiber.

5 Likes

Ahora con mas Putrescina!

3 Likes

that’s used as an anti-clumping agent.

It used to be way worse.
http://www.amazon.com/Swindled-History-Poisoned-Counterfeit-Coffee/dp/0691138206

3 Likes

(actually, perhaps a lesson is to be had here. Don’t buy wheels from Williams Sonoma if you want to cheap out)

85 cents a pound

2 Likes

Well, they do use whale crap in perfume.

2 Likes

What do you expect for a misdemeanor?

I’m a little maudlin… I feel I’ve contributed just a smidge to the food jokes and posts over the years…

I’d like to thank the a-cod-amy on this delicious occassion. I frankly breem with pride. I feel the need to cuttle with my close friends, and perhaps squirt some ink onto a page or two.

7 Likes

5 cents a pound

6 Likes

Linked warning dated 2013. Closeout letter linked in original document dated 2014. Old old old news. Resolved issue. Move along, nothing to see here.