That '100% pure' Parmesan Cheese you're enjoying may contain wood pulp

Thanks for the Food Babe quality headline. You actually got me to click. If it had been an actual descriptive header my reaction may have been “Duh!”

1 Like

Tucker is pleased…
http://www.npr.org/2012/01/07/144752385/dog-trained-as-ultimate-whale-pooper-snooper

1 Like

No no no… that’s not the capitalism way!

It’s the race to the bottom all the way, my friend! If it’s cheaper, it’s surely better!

1 Like

1109.59 ÷ 82 = 13.53

Still not a bad deal, if you can get through 82 pounds of parmesan before it goes stale.

1 Like

It’s not Parmesan cheese anyway. Because it’s not made in the region around Parma. If you want proper Parmesan in America, you should start to obey the EU’s rules for designation of regional origin. Meanwhile, if you want actual Parmesan cheese in the US, make sure it’s labelled as Parmigiano-Reggiano.

1 Like

85 cents an ounce! An ounce… hangs head in shame

2 Likes

Meh. It’s listed in the ingredients of the “Parmesan” I just bought. Do people not read the labels? It’s one of the most harmless things I’ve ever seen listed on a package. Propelyne glycol is much more worthy of hysterical articles.

Well that’s the other thing. The pre-grated stuff, especially the not in an green jar kind. Is usually more expensive than just buying a hunk. You’re paying for the labor, packaging and loss during processing. Sort of like how a whole vacuum packed primal of beef is usually cheaper by the pound than the pre-butchered cuts that result from it. So not only are you paying a premium for convenience. But the product your getting is lower quality, more likely to be fake, and now we know bulked out with whats effectively saw dust.

Baby laxative?

1 Like

It is a matter which concerns cheese, the importance of said comestible being proven by its scandalous absence.

1 Like

I am a BIG fan of cheeze. I eat way more than my fair share, and if someone wants to bring a scale over, I can prove it.

I honestly don’t mind that shaker parmesan has a high proportion of cellulose. I only really use it to absorb grease on my pizza so that it won’t drip on me.

But the lying and circumvention of regulation is really what pisses me off. Especially with food. If they’re willing to break the rules on how much cellulose they have, then what confidence do I have that they’re even bothering with sterile processing, or QC at all?

2 Likes

Fun Fact:

Castle Cheese, Inc. is located in Slippery Rock, PA, home of Slippery Rock University.

Having grown up in Pittsburgh, the constant threat of my high school teachers was, “You’d better study and work hard, otherwise you’ll end up going to Slippery Rock University, or worse yet, teaching there.”

Long story short, that area isn’t known for its rocket surgeons…

2 Likes

It’s not true that the Parmesan cheese you’re enjoying may contain wood pulp. You most definitely have been eating wood pulp. They ALL contain wood pulp. It’s just that Castle went overboard and used too much. And, oh, they don’t put in any actual Parmesan.

I had to go and check the ingredients label on the Parmigiano Reggiano in the fridge:

Ingredients: Unpasteurised milk.

I pay around 70c an ounce (in £ equivalents). The one you have there is 85 cents an ounce, not a pound. I am told that there are people who can easily tell it from the stuff that is ten times as expensive, once they’ve seen the labels. Same with wine.

1 Like

Hard to believe this hasn’t been posted yet.
Submitted for your entertainment…

9 Likes

It seems not to mention anywhere on that page that it is a product of Italy, or product of anywhere. It does describe all the protections and area of origin issues involved without saying that they apply.

oh and for those who have not seen it:

edit - now i am hungry after browsing cheeses on amazon

2 Likes

That sounds reassuring. Yet in the US, cartons of milk have the warning “Caution: Contains Milk.” Like there is some idiot out there going “Shit! I almost died of an allergic reaction to milk. Thank god I saw that warning in time!”

propylene glycol [sic] is the safe one that really responsible river boat owners use to cool their engines, because a keel cooler leak will then not harm fish.
Ethylene glycol is the nasty one used in the great majority of engines.
There have been scandals in the past when ethylene glycol was used by “mistake” (it is much cheaper) in the heat exchangers of wine treatment plants, resulting in contamination.

3 Likes

In the UK containers of peanuts have the allergy warning “May contain nuts”. Yet this is not a mistake. Peanuts are not actually nuts, so there really are people with nut allergies who can eat peanuts, but not obviously if there are nuts in there with them.

The “non-dairy creamer” in the US always used to amuse me, but this was because I had been told that such a small quantity of lactose would not affect lactose-intolerant people. At that time I had just not realised how obsessive some of the ultra-Orthodox are about the milk and meat thing - a perfect example of the Pharisaism Jesus complained of.

1 Like

The value of the stuff in a jar is that it is not very good. Wedges of hard cheese are too good to last more than about a week in my household–the wedges disappear to nibbling before the wedge ever sees my cheese grater. If you’ve never tried hard cheese ungrated, don’t. It’s seriously addictive.

3 Likes