That CGI Dancing Baby screensaver is 90s now an NFT, because of course it is

Originally published at: That CGI Dancing Baby screensaver is 90s now an NFT, because of course it is | Boing Boing

1 Like

I can make NFTs of spirits of the vasty deep!

4 Likes

Ally McBeal NFTs coming soon, no doubt. “Bored Biscuits”?

4 Likes

“so the Dancing Baby can shake its hips forever,”

Or until their site goes down. That sounds like a fraudulent claim.

“© 1996 Autodesk, Inc. The Dancing Baby is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.”

Hmm. I wonder if they touched all the IP bases on this? (Ha! No, of course they didn’t. They’ll be long-gone if there are any objections.)

4 Likes

Is investing in NFTs anymore intelligent than investing in traditional art?
Why are people willing to spend big bucks on something that they can’t even hold? Of course, traditional art confuses me too. I don’t have a clue as to why I should buy something that I can simply download an image of.

I have one of those on my computer someplace. Am I rich now?

1 Like

Basically everyone with a piece of intellectual property of no value is crawling out of the woodwork with an NFT.

Sorry, no. Just creepy :wink:

1 Like

precious nft_1

12 Likes

Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they be purchased for all the coin when you do mint them?

3 Likes

I do remember the baby object itself was an object you could purchase from Viewpoint Data Labs. I know this as I worked on Alley McBeal and ordered the baby object for the effects team back in the 90s.

5 Likes

What you “own” is merely a pointer to a file on someone else’s server. There is likely no guarantee that the file will remain unchanged or even exist tomorrow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.