That guy who made up a story about stealing a brick of heroin from an MS-13 gang member says he now regrets it

May I present: Pulp Fiction.

To say nothing of Jim Jarmusch, Harmony Korine, and others…

I’d welcome more films that don’t adhere to standard narrative formulas.

1 Like

Well, but then in that case, they should also be interesting, original or exciting… (but Hollywood does prefer the standard narrative formula over those).

1 Like

Fair enough. The bottom line is that a good director can make an interesting film out of even a lackluster screenplay. And if they re-wrote it he still would have made some money instead of looking like a fool and endangering his life.

I’ve heard about a lot of the cartel violence in Mexico. It is out of control in some areas. But it didn’t seem to be that prominent on the US news.

But yes, while there has long been tension with some groups and border security, it hasn’t reached this level in a long time thanks to all this wall talk. This issue is beyond rational measures for some border security, but a rally point for establishing and demonizing the “others” who are “clearly” the cause of so many problems in the US. It’s become the front for some perverse culture war.

Related: A much more somber tune from Mexican Institute of Sound than usual. One can google translate the lyrics.

Bullshitting a story is a different skill (and serves a different purpose) than writing a screenplay though, and spec scripts (especially from first-time writers) end up getting used, statistically speaking, roughly never. (And I’m sure there are about a bajillion more Hollywood-friendly versions of this basic narrative already out there in script form.)

Which is to say: if he’d turned it into a screenplay, he’d have gotten nothing from it, not even any attention (which was always the whole point).

It’s the same in English-speaking nations. “Mafia” most just means “organized crime syndicate” now. But originally it morphed from the name of a particular organized crime syndicate (before people used the term “organized crime syndicate”, apparently) into a common word for all organized crime. Sort of like people saying Kleenex instead of tissue. There was a time (long gone) when people were concerned about the mafia as a particular entity.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.