That next cocktail could burn you – literally

I get a mild, warm feeling in my face and get flushed when I eat apples or dried apricots.

5 Likes

Hm, interesting. I must not react to poison oak then? Because i’ve eaten mango skins before, they’re good.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just my Mexican upbringing, but I know that you ALLWAYS wash your hands after handling lemmons or any other citrus. Now I know why.
Thanks mom.

12 Likes

Ah, she’s grand. We were down there together, but she wasn’t the one that received the burn. Reading the CBC piece got me thinking of how often I ran the risk of getting injured this past winter and spring.

6 Likes

Some people from India have told me they avoid eating oranges in the sun, lest it lighten the skin of their fingers, leaving their hands two-toned. Probably a similar reaction?

1 Like

Why did they think liquid nitrogen in a drink would be a good idea? WTF?

7 Likes

I long ago learned to always wash hands after fondling anything citric, acidic, alkaline, spicy, oily, slimy, whatever. A few burns and major irritations are excellent teachers.

But y’know, some learn by reading; and some by listening; and some just have to go piss on the electric fence. So, don’t wash up, and see what happens.

When one of my sisters was a teenager, she and her friends would put lemon juice in their hair before sunbathing—just on certain parts of the hair, to get streaks and highlights.

1 Like

7 Likes

Only 40%? That’s BS. I expect my unicorn tears to be bottled undiluted at full strength. None of this sissy stuff.

3 Likes

My wife said she and especially her younger sister lemonized their adolescent hair under the San Jose sun. They grew up brunette anyway, alas. Now we’re all silverheads. Has anyone tried lemonizing white hair? Does it bleach, or go jaundiced?

1 Like

See. things like this are why I wear a Tyvek suit while gardening, and gloves when handling plants, fruit, or chemicals. I got a rash once from slicing a mango. :sob:

Yet another reason to stick to watermelon or strawberry flavored margs.

5 Likes

It’s a fantastically stupid method for super-cooling drinks quickly which comes into vogue every few decades. When done “properly” it’s not supposed to wind up in the part that’s ingested, but any food service establishment that uses it deserves to go promptly out of business. It’s one thing to try it at home if you really know what you’re doing, and even then not worth the risk IMHO, but bars and kitchens are no place for it.

4 Likes

I’ll say.

Isn’t liquid nitro the stuff that can shatter roses, tennis balls and the occasional T1000?

8 Likes

On the same level as getting hyperbaric oxygen therapy from the bloke who runs the tanning salon?

Fuck:
https://www.planetbeachclinton.com/single-post/Hyperbaric-Oxygen-Therapy

5 Likes

Since you mention oxygen, that’s one of the less known dangers of poorly handled liquid nitrogen. The intense cold can condense a small amount of oxygen out of the air, which would lead to some very vigorous reactions if you then poured it into some flammable materials- like a load of alcohol.

3 Likes

It’s a good idea that chunk of charcoal was already smoldering when it was dropped into the LOX. When liquid oxygen soaks into carbon-containing materials, the result can be an impact-sensitive explosive.

3 Likes

The party drug used to be nitrous oxide, not liquid nitrogen. We’ve sure gone downhill.

Yup.

3 Likes