That next cocktail could burn you – literally

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/that-next-cocktail-could-burn.html

7 Likes

C’mon man, don’t ruin drinking for me. I don’t have many bastions of untainted enjoyment left, y’know.

12 Likes

probably need a viewing warning on the post for those images there @SeamusBellamy

8 Likes

18 Likes

Solution: drink tequila straight.

I suspect this would be exacerbated by genetics-- we all know people (or are people) who don’t handle sunlight well, the people who don’t tan, but burn and freckle (thanks a lot, Viking ancestors.)

11 Likes

i do NOT need to hear about the possibility of this right now. i mean, wha da fuk.

7 Likes

Strange, i looked it up and its citrus oil that causes the reaction. I grew up with a lemon tree and juicing them by hand to make juice pretty regularly and never seen this reaction before. Looks pretty terrible, hope your wife is doing ok now @SeamusBellamy

9 Likes

In Mexico, they have a whole spectrum of citrus fruits beyond the basic lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit that I see in the grocery store here. And the juice from some of those oranges will eat through Styrofoam cups.

Giant hogweed also causes nasty burns:

9 Likes

Time for a unicorn chaser.

5 Likes

Also, maybe keep margarita time to nighttime hours.

5 Likes

No Flaming Moe gifs? Really? I thought this was the nerdy side of the internet.

5 Likes

Be the hero you’re looking for.

10 Likes

Well, be smart and wash your hands/reapply sunscreen, I guess.

4 Likes

Hogweed is scary as shit. A neighbour up the street from us had some in their yard and it took us (and a few total strangers who just happened to be passing) knocking on their door to get them to remove it.

Limes and citrus oil can be bad - as can tomatoes for some (me) that produce a similar reaction. Cortisone cream helps but once that stuff erupts it’s gotta finish its business before it goes away.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of this, and I can’t lie, I kinda want to see how it would happen if I put it on my arm. I think I have seen someone get discolored before, but not blisters.

2 Likes

Dermatitis? That’s the least of it.

Only giant hogweed. Common hogweed is fine.

9 Likes

Interestingly, the edible common hogweed / cow parsnip can also cause the same dermatitis, but it’s got way less of the sensitizing chemical in it. Nevertheless, foragers beware!

5 Likes

‘margarita burn,’

Roger That!

2 Likes

Look out for mangos too.

A coworker, who knew he was allergic to poison oak peeled some mangos and then unknowingly touched his face. His face and eyes swelled up so much he couldn’t see.

Apparently, mango skins and poison oak have the same/similar chemical/oils that can trigger an allergic response.

7 Likes

So can celery, if you’re really unlucky.

5 Likes