That time George Washington ordered "total destruction and devastation" of the Haudenosaunee

Not directly, but in the same way I learned as a kid in Brantford that “Indian” was a term given to Aboriginals by the europeans, “Iroquois” was a term french settlers gave to a single tribe. One that, like “Indian”, was not only incorrect but used in a derogatory manner.

6 Likes

“People of the Longhouse” according to Wikipedia, but like many names borrowed from other languages there’s room for a lot of dispute.

1 Like

Thank you. I learned this, too, but was taught ‘Six Nation [/Confederacy]’ alongside ‘Iroquois Confederacy’ as nominally interchangeable terms. So learning the actual name is interesting to me, and I was hoping for a breakdown of “Haudenosaunee.” And you owe me nothing, of course.

2 Likes

Yah, I’m on the doubting side of that equation.

1 Like

“Inuit” is the accepted term today, and “Eskimo” is fading out, as it’s a derogatory term, for once not given by whites but by their First Nations enemies.

There’s pressure to change the name of the Edmonton Eskimos, but the owners are balking.

2 Likes

And downright unAmerican. “We’re all just people” is kind of the point. With the “all” still a work in progress.

1 Like

At least we’d have universal healthcare.

It isn’t entirely appropriate to refer to Yupik or Inupiat people as “Inuit” as I understand it.

Most people have never heard of the Haudenosaunee Confederation because people like Washington tried their damnest to erase it from history. Most native nations are commonly known today by the derogatory terms other tribes called them. If you are not sure what to call a people/person just ask them. Calling the Six Nations Haudenosaunee is respectful, even if the members themselves are resigned to being called indian or Iroquois or Six Nations because of hundreds of years of cultural genocide.

3 Likes

I use ‘Iroquois’ only to explain what ‘Haudenosaunee’ means.

I know that citizens of the Mohawk Nation use the name, ‘Mohawk’, but as an outsider I’m careful to avoid it. I’m just not comfortable calling anyone a ‘cannibal.’ I’ve learnt to pronounce and spell ‘Kanien’kehá:ka’ and use it to refer to the People of the Flint.

(Disclaimer: I’m an Old White Guy. I have a tiny bit of Six Nations ancestry - my great-great-grandmother was a Turtle of the Onondaga, but that gives me no right to call you ‘sister’. I’m also somewhat aware of the history. The victims of Washington’s genocide were descended from the nations that wrought the genocide of the Huron a century earlier. Although it’s entirely arguable that they were pawns of the Dutch - and therefore that White people were responsible for that calamity as well. Still, the Rotino’sonni:onwe got worse than they gave.)

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer and I’m sorry if I missed it that you were implying somewhere in this response that you are Haudenosaunee.

I believe both those peoples are in Alaska. “Inuit” is the preferred name for the people of northern Canada, in official and informal use.

Yes, I think that “Inuit” is mostly acceptable to the people who have been fornerly called “Eskimo” in Canada and Greenland and less so for the people in Alaska and Siberia. The point is that “Inuit” isn’t a good word to cover all the peoples who live near the arctic with a similar culture and related language to those who are referred to by “Inuit” in Canada. I could be wrong about all this as I am a member of none of these groups and I have no wish to offend.

…because he did. By launching a murderous and unprovoked surprise attack on the unsuspecting French Canadians.

Washington also held more slaves than any other President, and actively worked to prevent the emancipation of the enslaved people he held in bondage.

4 Likes

https://pres-slaves.zohosites.com/ranking-the-presidents.html

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.