That time Louis Vuitton made a netbook

Originally published at: That time Louis Vuitton made a netbook | Boing Boing

1 Like

This may be stating the obvious but it hadn’t really occurred to me before: the relationship between the talismanic properties of technology and the utilitarian properties is not linear.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why people pay a premium to provide free advertising for LV’s ugly poop-coloured brand on items that (supposedly) have a useful life longer than three years, let alone this. But then again I put items like this in the “more money than sense” category.

8 Likes

It used to be a signal to other people that you were in a certain income class - one who can afford to essentially throw away thousands of dollars.

Now, with the ubiquity of knock-offs and ebay, that signaling quality has been eroded, people have to use the old-fashioned signals…cars, homes, plastic surgery, etc.

Conversely, for many people the genuine articles are an affirmation to themselves that they are worth it, that they matter, they are important, etc; which can be a tragedy if they happen to pay full price for a knock-off. However, depending on the quality, there really is no way to tell the originals from the copies.

5 Likes

While my crappy tablet was temporarily not working (seems to be common for RCA models like mine to suddenly stop powering on and requiring certain rituals to reactivate), I was looking into possible replacements. Yeah, this ain’t it. The cheaper alternative linked also ain’t it. Then again, if CE is no longer supported, I don’t have to worry about bloat. I just want something that gets me into Google Docs and provides little delay between my typing and the words showing up onscreen.

2 Likes

Ugh, I hate to say it, but your best bet is probably a Chromebook. The UI is essentially just a portal into GSuite and they can be pretty cheap. GSuite running on Mac or Windows is a fairly miserable experience, IMO. Whenever I have a slowdown it is GSuite 100% of the time (Mrs Peas always forgets to close the tabs when borrowing my laptop).

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. Now that my tablet is working again, though, I’ll put off the purchase of another device till later in my writing career, when I’ll need it more.

1 Like

It’s not a netbook, As explained in the article it is a Handheld PC. I could agree with subnotebook just barely, but a netbook it’s not.

2 Likes

I’m that old.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.