The 2020 election and the old Big Lie seems to be backfiring on Trump

Originally published at: The 2020 election and the old Big Lie seems to be backfiring on Trump | Boing Boing

9 Likes

The Big Lie isn’t about winning the next election. It’s about delegitimizing the outcome, along with any other election that doesn’t go the GOP’s way.

60 Likes

I hope Trump gives those two a righteous smack-down, so the GOP can ride the Trump Train right off that collapsed trestle.

20 Likes

Cassidy also said he’d support a “senility test” for older politicians.

12 Likes

30 Likes

exactly. the republican party under trump has realized that “winning” is for chumps and other weak people, and has now decidedly banked on a strategy of stealing elections via various anti-democratic tactics.

21 Likes

So, basically election tampering (including interference with the process, frivolous lawsuits, and other shenanigans, which all have criminal consequences at the misdemeanor and felony level, except the frivolous lawsuit, which can be a disbarment punishment for the lawyers), inciting insurrection (Ought to be chargeable as treason), and other dirty tricks which would even cause “Tricky Dick” Nixon to spun in his grave fast enough to generate electricity.

Just calling it as I see it.

15 Likes

Yep, it’s about setting the stage so they don’t have to win the next election to still get in power. Democratically speaking, it’s a losing strategy, but I guess these Republicans didn’t get the memo that the party has rejected democracy…

24 Likes

Whiteout the makeup.

Digital Art Lol GIF

9 Likes

14 Likes

There is supposed to be an appearance with You Know Who with Bill O’Lielly here in Houston in December. Last I heard, over 1/2 the tickets were still unsold.
I don’t think he cares that much about the attendane numbers, so much as his fragile ego needs the cheers of his worshipers.

These guys are relatively normal, not True Believers.
Even so, they only seem to care about winning the election, instead of talking about You Know Who’s unsuitability to hold office, so they are hardly taking the moral high ground here.

5 Likes

So it’s not because he supported an insurrection, it’s because he lost. Am I getting this correct?

20 Likes

9 Likes

The fact that people still talk about this as a losing or winning strategy is insane. Imagine if Trump murdered Eric, then in the next few months we found:

• Fox News and OAN are saying it’s okay to murder your children because you made them after all
  • Prosecutors won’t do anything about it because they would be seen as political
  • Other Republicans started murdering their children to show how closely aligned they were with Trump

Would we be having conversations about how Republicans feel like they have to murder their children to avoid being primaried? About how this may turn off swing voters? Honestly I feel like the answer is yes.

13 Likes

But… they aren’t going to let-them-fight if there is a large (or even moderate) red swing in 2022.

If the GOP wins the House, they’ll impeach Biden, without a doubt. (Maybe twice, to “get even!”)

If the GOP wins the Senate, McConnell will stall all legislation and freeze judge/SCOTUS nominations to give the 2024 (or 2028?) GOP president 1-2 more SCOTUS seats.

All this momentum would cause any moderates (who want to be re/elected) to scurry back to the safety of Trump(ism). This November 2022 could be the most consequential mid-term election in recent history.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.