The adorable scamps of the Republican Circus

Originally published at: The adorable scamps of the Republican Circus | Boing Boing

18 Likes

This has to be one of my favorites. It skewers the Republican/far right/faux news narratives and points out what an absolutely garbage comic the Family Circle/Circus is and always has been.

35 Likes

And if they managed to completely ban “wokeness” they’d blame someone or something else completely unrelated the next time there was a school shooting or bank failure.

15 Likes

Eh, Family Circus was relatable and engaging – when I was seven years old, maybe.

Sometimes I wonder if it might have shaped and warped my perspective in negative ways, like how some people talk about Caillou nowadays.

11 Likes
8 Likes

I dunno, i loved the ones where Billy is running around the neighborhood and you had to follow the dotted line.

10 Likes

Meh. There’s nothing particularly “wrong” with it, it just hasn’t had an original joke for decades. Like many of the mainstays of the comic pages: Hagar the Horrible, Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Andy Capp, Garfield, B.C., ad naseum, it should have retired while it was still relatively fresh, or at least before it became a joke itself.

11 Likes

As noted by the Comics Curmudgeon, nearly every current Family Circus is a rerun slightly reworked by Jeff Keane to clear out glaringly outdated references. This strip originally ran during the ‘80s and was about ABSCAM.

12 Likes

I grant those were better than most, but so much of the humor of the comic is the same joke over and over.

catfishing

25 Likes

. . . and don’t even get me started on the train derailments!

5 Likes

Ha! Brilliant. :laughing:

1 Like

I loved the version of Dysfunctional Family Circus that once existed at the website Spinnwebe. The captions were user-submitted and were hilarious. Fortunately it still exists here: https://dfc.furr.org/

5 Likes

9 Likes

Good grief, is/was that page run by Joel Furr?

3 Likes

Talk to the Senator:

our schools are increasingly failing and alienating them.

Oh dear lord. Really?

These are driven by forces on both sides of the poltiical spectrum, including enhanced focus on testing and a desire to lower taxes on the right and critical theory on the left that is telling lower-middle-class white boys that they are in a position of privilege and are the problem.

Ah. OK. That you think K12 schools are influenced by CRT indicates a misunderstanding of K12 education as well as CRT.

[Didn’t continue reading after that, sorry]

23 Likes

You might get more readers if you insert appropriate paragraph breaks. Impenetrable walls-o’-text are generally seen as a red flag that the content isn’t worth wading into.

21 Likes

I doubt that most of the commenters or Authors on BB ever supported the economic laissez faire “free”-market fundamentalism that forms the basis of “Classical Liberalism”. Many of us do define ourselves as small-l liberals in a general sense, but “classical liberalism” is a different and more well-defined set of economic and social positions that amount to an alternate term (and sometimes a beard) for Libertarianism.

Citation needed. Right now it’s barely considered an informal long-term risk metric within most financial institutions.

To be fair, they likely understood what Classical Liberalism is in both its economic and social aspects, and also don’t call banks “financial institutes”.

Pay no attention to the fact that school shooters have easy access to powerful high-capacity due to policies promoted by the GOP (and not the Dems) for decades. Any attempt at gun control is now lumped into “wokeness” by the American right.

Bothsidesism doesn’t play here. Capital-L Libertarianism has been baked into the GOP since Reagan, and more recently fascism has been added to the mix.

I’ll assume you’re referring here to Critical Race Theory. CRT is part of law school curricula and is not taught in K-12 schools.

And yes, lower-middle-class white boys are in a position of privilege in comparison to their upper-middle class Black counterparts (see, to give one example, the phenomenon of Driving While Black" and “The Talk”). Acknowledging that and understanding why is what helps the former stop being part of the problem.

I could keep deconstructing your Libertarian Gish Gallop, but I’ve reached the limit of fundamental errors contained in a single comment to further waste my time on it. Besides, I can’t have all the fun!

25 Likes

:roll_eyes:

oh dear where did i put all my eyerolls