The Airbus 350 needs a hard reboot every 149 hours

The new BSOD:

11 Likes

No, I think a blue screen is good. It’s when the screen looks brown/green that you’re fucked!

8 Likes

Point taken, but I had to work w/ the acronym. BSOB/G just wouldn’t do. Still, I 100% concur that air is much better to pass through than earth.

1 Like

particularly the ariane 5 mishap.

1 Like

Exactly what i was thinking funny enough. Curious if that’s actually the issue.

It’s not just a matter of cost. Changing code introduce the risk of new bugs, and better the bug you know how to deal with.

2 Likes

This stuff is hard to find. My guess is that the -941 has an automatic reset in there somewhere.

If Boeing had outsourced the software development to Tesla team, we’d have self-flying planes by now.

1 Like

Uh, we do have self flying planes.

4 Likes

It’s almost exactly 2^29 milliseconds (less than an hour off). I’m thinking it’s more a bit overflow…

4 Likes

What seems most concerning is how varied the symptoms of not power cycling described are.

Having everything fall over and die when the counter rolls over would obviously be really bad; but would also have a comfortingly deterministic flavor. The reports of issues of widely varying scope and severity have that grim(though plausible) sense of probably being an alarmingly complex network of systems that, as a whole, has unpredictable reactions to individual component failures(which could presumably occur for non-temporal reasons as well).

1 Like

Ah good catch. Its a timer.

I won’t go into how its relevant, but in the commercial motif component set, where .uid files are loaded from a particular directory, the maximum length of all files in that directory (not just uid files) is 32768 bytes.

If you exceed that then motif and the application linked to it will segfault.

Master process starts playing psDoom?

http://freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/weekly_tips-killing_processes/

Potable drinking water, antibiotics, science-based medical care…there’s a long list of things we should all be grateful for, even much more recently than when sabre-tooth tigers roamed the world.

7 Likes

Next season on Black Mirror…

Really? Every commercial plane I’ve been on has all the controls necessary to fly it manually, and two pilots who use those controls. “Automatic pilot” only gets turned on for part of the flight, and no pilot in their right mind would rely on it 100%.

ah yes, i think i recognize that man, he was my ryanair pilot

4 Likes

All airliners can takeoff, cruise and land with only data entry by pilots, and many airlines mandate use of autopilot and autoland by their pilots.

2 Likes

They aren’t exactly a civil aviation thing; but cruise missiles are pretty much self flying planes; and have featured some fairly sophisticated guidance options for a while now(inertial and gyroscopic pretty much as far back as cruise missiles; TERCOM in the mid '50s; contemporary designs much more sophisticated).

But they don’t have to land…

My son’s DJI phantom 2 drone is a better example. It cost 600 AUD and it can fly complete missions autonomously.

1 Like