The Airbus 350 needs a hard reboot every 149 hours

Shouldn’t debugging be total? Seems like a lapse of QC to me, but then I know very little about software guts.

Unfortunately total validation is impossible. Anything approaching a complete validation of all features will be very expensive. Many corner cases, like lets use the system for hundreds of hours and see if a problem arises, can easily be missed.

8 Likes

Oh the stories I could tell you…

…if I never wanted to work again.

3 Likes

clip_we-find-wefix-the-bug-bug-nowwe-have-twobugs-nowwe-41848863_phixr

5 Likes

AFAIR it’s some kind of timer overflow

This is probably the case. Once when writing firmware for an industrial servodrive I introduced a bug that made it stop after about 1 hour. It was caused by a 32-bit timer overflow.

Not always …

1 Like

Something something 19 bits ought to be enough for anyone something

2 Likes

We have self-flying planes.
What we don’t have are self-driving Teslas.

1 Like

Which I suppose was the root of the original problem of diving inappropriately.

And lo, Rust was invented.

1 Like

4 Likes

I’ve not flown since 2002. What did I miss?

Do cruise missiles fly 150-hour missions?

The 9M730 Burevestnik (NATO reporting name: SSC-X-9 Skyfall) should be up to it.

2 Likes

I thought airliners were tested for more than 150 hours…

1 Like
4 Likes

A hard boot? How about a good thump?

So it’s better that chewing gum, then?

Those guys using what I took to be duct tape on an engine was just astonishing. Thanks for the info.

I’m surprised the list didn’t mention the Apollo 1. Used pure, flammable O2 and there was no way to effectively evacuate the crew in the event of fire. Dumb mistakes on manned missions would have to be more notable than those on unmanned missions.

EDIT:
And, I entirely agree that NASA learned alot from Apollo 1. If they’d gone into space with this prototype not failing disastrously, perhaps it then fails at a much later stage (and they would have much less of an idea of what went wrong, and how to correct). But were the 3 best astronauts in the space program being incinerated the only way to have changed the corporate culture at NASA? Same thing with Challenger and Columbia. They didn’t know what they didn’t know, because they weren’t, apparently, looking sufficiently for what they didn’t know.

1 Like