The amazing acoustics of Stonehenge

There’s a terrific passage in this book:

https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/gaviotas/

[sorry folks I just can’t stand linking to Bezos’ Beast any more]

… where a forest in Colombia is re-established, and the acoustics in it are remarkably good and completely not what anyone on the project was expecting. I think they end up singing an opera in it. More about the forest here but no mention of the acoustics:

2 Likes

I thought

I don't think of myself

are you

AMIRIGHT?

AM I a Sprite?

2 Likes

Oh god yes, the amount of times you see some scratches on an antler being attributed to a tally system, ancient language or ritualistic purpose.

Never, do you get - “Yeah, here we have the signs that someone pissed about with a rock and a bit of antler”

1 Like

Whoah - are you trying to tell me the Druids knew what they were doing?

2 Likes

There is a full size replica in south central Washington constructed in the 1920s built of concrete. I’ve used a Bluetooth speaker placed on the “alter” (“stage”?), and the sound was impressive, with some obvious “sweet spots”. Not a scientific endeavor. Purely qualitative. But still very impressive. Was this the intent of the Originals builders? I don’t think that can be answered, but it certainly appears to have good acoustic properties regardless. It would be interesting to hear an acoustic trio play there live. If ever you find yourself near Mary Hill, Washington, along the Columbia river, you can check it out yourself. Great view of the Columbia and Mt. Hood as well.

6 Likes

That sounds intriguing! Since I won’t make it to Washington in the foreseeable future, I’m wondering if there are other replicas, is anyone aware of one?

And welcome to BoingBoing!

2 Likes

So its a modern yurt

1 Like

“We’re bored. Harvest is over. Let’s build a henge. Who’s with me?”

2 Likes

Without wishing to be a pedant here, Druids had nothing to do with any of the Henges that are known about, and all we know of Druids are what the Romans wrote, around 1800 years ago, which is 3700 years after Stonehenge and Avebury were built. The druids who hang around Stonehenge and Avebury today are just cosplay fans perpetuating a Victorian myth.

1 Like
1 Like

Aye, thanks! Being based in Europe, I likely won’t see this one either. But the link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge_replicas_and_derivatives in the article is just what I was looking for!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.