Stonehenge core sample shows monument was largely quarried only 15 miles from site

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/stonehenge-core-sample-shows-m.html

10 Likes

tap
“No one knows who they were…”

25 Likes

The worker probably took it to protect it from being trod upon by dwarves…

14 Likes

13 Likes

A bunch of stones weighing over 40,000 lbs were dragged ONLY 15 miles about 4,500 year ago. Sad.

15 Likes

Considering that the aliens who built the thing travelled thousands of light-years to get here, what’s another 15 miles?

17 Likes

Rebar?!

9 Likes

Has the community at the quarry site asked for them to be repatriated yet?

4 Likes

But what about the ley lines?

4 Likes

One of the greatest henges in the world.

6 Likes

Reminds me of when I had to set my mother straight many years ago about Erich von Daniken’s book, Chariots of the Gods, and trash of a similar vein. Unfortunately, someone had turned her on to it. I had to explain to her that ancient cultures were quite capable of accomplishing extremely clever and extraordinary engineering feats on their own, and that much of the disbelief in modern times was based on general ignorance of ancient engineering and construction techniques… and on cultural/racial/ethnic biases. I think that last part is what turned her around. Not to mention my insistence that she not waste her time with fraudster garbage.

10 Likes

Now I have an image of aliens with mullets driving a spaceship with truck nuts just going around doing odd jobs like pulling dead stumps and moving 40.000 lbs stones for beer money.

13 Likes

I can understand the general appeal of the notion that we are collectively smarter or more resourceful than our ancestors were thousands of years ago, but available evidence definitely doesn’t support the idea.

If anything, a modern person sent back in time would probably be less well-equipped to accomplish great feats of engineering with the technology of the era.

21 Likes

Has no one made a “Stonehenge was a sex thing” GIF of the li’l all-knowing elephant from The Good Place yet?? Or has my Google-fu just become weak?

2 Likes

There’s a National Geographic special on Stonehenge that is mostly serious but has Christopher Guest come in as character as Nigel Tufnel to give some remarks. He says something like “Many people think Stonehenge was built by aliens. That’s utter bollocks! The pyramids, yes of course, but not Stonehenge!”

14 Likes

The saucer recipe is flaky but the author, a construction contractor, showed long ago (ca.1982) straightforward methods of building Stonehenge, pyramids, et al. Fun book.

3 Likes

Their 142-mile journey probably involved a leg by boat, a logistical feat that would have been much more challenging for the larger cuts.

The way the Ancient Egyptians floated all those MASSive obelisks up the Nile on gigantic barges is also V interesting.

2 Likes

Well, the first builders apparently missed the critical intersection of those ley lines by over a hundred miles, causing the whole ‘gotta drag these stones cross country’ debacle.

Or they recycled monuments. Occam’s razor gives a close shave…

2 Likes

This is a fun book. Some parts of it are more plausible than others, but fun speculation

1 Like

Not to mention that we’re also much lazier these days. For example I’m just gonna copy and paste this link rather that go through the effort to retype a point that I made 4 years ago.

6 Likes